Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Another Tree Going, More

We found out yesterday that we're losing another tree on the street, very close to home.  Right by the driveway, in fact.  The city deems it dangerous so it will be removed.

About when we moved in back in 2009 we lost a couple large trees toward the bottom of the street, removed by the city.  Between then and 2021 we lost at least a couple on the street, including one just across and a house up and one just two houses up, but I don't think I posted about them.  Then, in early 2021, while snow was still on the ground, we had 3 large trees removed toward the top of the street.  After that, in June 2021, we lost the big tree directly across the street from us.  Now, we're going to lose the large tree just to the left in front of neighbor Jane's house.  It does have a dead branch hanging pretty much over our front awning, but we hesitated to report it because we were afraid they would remove the whole tree.  Now that will happen anyway.

My wife overheard the guy from the city talking to neighbor Jane about it, and it seems he pointed out some good reasons.  He also said it may be some time before it actually gets removed.  A few weeks ago we had some strong storms come through, causing damage with sticks, branches and whole trees coming down.  Last I heard, about a week or so ago, they had already removed over 3 million pounds of debris from across the city and it seems they still have a ways to go.  I know my stick pile just got picked up recently.  It was a rather large pile, but thankfully just sticks and I picked them up from both my and neighbor Dave's yards as he is recovering from a torn achilles (at 84!).  That was a lot of trips to the curb (but no bending over thanks to my trusty stick grabber).

I'm always sad to see big trees go, especially in our own neighborhood, but I do understand the dangerous situations they can sometimes create.  We still have a similar tree on the other side, in front of neighbor Dave's house, and if that one is removed my heart will break again and we will not have any large trees left in front of the house.

In other news, during a walk around our section of the creek today we saw all the wildflowers that were blooming or getting there.  Some get very tall so they just take some time to grow.  I also noticed how the steps and canoe slide, installed in September 2019 (parts one, two, and three), were looking.

The steps look like they have not been used at all, but for the ducks, while the canoe slide has seen a bit more action.  It's not uncommon to see someone get dropped off or carry/wheel their canoe down the street to the slide for summer fun.  Certainly not every day or even weekend, but not uncommon and good to see it does get used.

But at least these are summer happenings, much more fun to write about than winter happenings.  I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far.  Don't let it slip by, it will be cold again before we know it!

And I saw this, so I may join them for a walk that day just for the fun of it.



8 comments:

Blue Witch said...

3 years since they made the steps and canoe slide? Where does time grow...

Are they replanting trees to replace those cut down?

Wouldn't small sticks be good as fire starters for your firepit? Or is it a case of not having anywhere to store them?

Blue Witch said...

Excellent Freudian slip there BW :)

delcatto said...

That walk looks good and a great way to connect locally with nature.

Yes, sad to see trees removed but I had the same thought as BW, are they replanting replacement trees?

Scoakat said...

Yes, BW, pre-pandemic slide and steps! As you can see (and if you compare to the pictures from then), not only the time grew.

It is a nice walk around this section of creek, delcatto, but not a terribly long walk. And the whole other side is in full sun (steps side) so we don't go over there when too warm out. We normally walk around the neighborhoods and come back down the bike path by the creek (slide side). I'm seriously considering going on that guided walk as I'm sure I'll learn a few things.

After the tree is removed, typically after a few weeks, another crew comes around and takes out the stump, spreads dirt and grass seed. Then later that year or the next year they plant another tree in the same spot. Normally, anyway.

I did burn some of the sticks before they got picked up, but I have 3 5-gallon buckets full of kindling stored in the garage already! And two bags of newspaper, so I'm set for firestarter for quite some time. :)

Blue Witch said...

15 gallons of kindling? Is that all? ;) We've got 2 old sheds full of wood... They need moving and a proper wood store constructing somewhere (just not sure where yet!). 5 years I reckon should see the existing wood burnt, provided we have hard winters. Or, then again, one year if the price of electricty and oil keeps going up, as we will have to burn wood rather than oil to keep warm!

Pleased they replace the trees.

Scoakat said...

If I remember right, our gallons are different and ours are bigger. One of those big white buckets you've seen in my firepit pics or videos. I think I remember they're different from gas/petrol comparisons.

Blue Witch said...

I know Americans don't like any country having anything bigger than them ;), but, your gallons are actually smaller than ours:

"In the Americas, a gallon is equivalent to 128 fluid ounces or 3.785 liters (American spelling). But in the UK, it's 160 fluid ounces or 4.546 litres (British spelling)."

On the subject of fuel - our gas is now £2 a litre in many places.

Scoakat said...

I should know better and check my facts before responding to BW! :)

Gas here has been a little over 4 dollars a gallon, I'll let you do the math.

I'm about to head out to that guided walk pictured after the break. I hope its not just plant names and such because I'll never remember, but I do hope to learn more about the creek and the life in and around it.