Monday, July 25, 2022

July This-And-Thats

Well, things happen and you get too busy or just too tired to write anything, then a day goes by, then a week.  Before I get any more backed up with thoughts let me try to get them in writing.

  • The air conditioning was turned off yesterday, so back to windows open for what looks like a good stretch.  I took what was probably my longest single walk of the year so far, today.  I've been really good about walking this year more than ever, but my bike hasn't come down from the garage rafters yet.  I'll make that happen before summer is over, though.
  • Oh yes, I went to that creek thing a week ago Saturday morning and I had meant to write about that sooner.  Basically a volunteer couple comes out every month but winter and monitors the creek.  Other than them and me, two women showed up separately, so a small group.  They showed us how they check for volume, clarity, chlorides and oxygen.  The most interactive part was looking for different invertebrates he'd scoop up from the edges.  It was informative and kind of fun, but too much information about the creek's PFAS situation that I already knew, if not the exact numbers.  If you come and fish in a Madison lake, catch and release - do not eat.  Forty minutes after the posted 90 minute session and I thanked them and extracted myself to get on with my day.  Maybe that's why I put off writing about it.  
  • Pics from that day aren't the best and it would take many to show full context, so here's some kayakers I caught on my walk today.  They're just about by the canoe slide on their left, but many trek upstream as far as navigable then turn around.  I think that's pretty much the road bridge at the top end of this stretch of the creek, but I've never specifically looked for that so will have to on my next walk.
  • Thursday was a bit stressful for us, though much more so for the cats.  It was time for the vet, and this time we tried taking them at the same time.  There was howling and hissing and the smell of pee, but the vet was very nice and very good with them.  Basil was a little bitch, but Hamish took it much better.  The rest of the afternoon and evening the cats didn't exactly get along.  No fights, but some hissing and growling if Hamish got too close to Basil.  Once they had cleaned themselves thoroughly things seemed to get better.  All in good health, Hamish at 7 pounds and Basil at 15!
  • Friday was very stressful for me at work, having to perform a task for only the second time ever with no training just some written instructions that half didn't apply with other situations that arise and then an hour-long meeting about something else but same deadline.  In the end I got everything done on time with assistance from a coworker, and we pledged to overhaul the process.  That's been one of my roles at work, learn the task thoroughly and then improve it.
  • I was thinking that I may have started my walnut count a bit too early, but not after seeing neighbor Dave's yard.  He's still recovering from his torn achilles so can't pick them up, and son-in-law mowed over them so now you can see them all, just everywhere.  Dave told me he also complained about almost twisting his ankle at least 5 times as he mowed (Imagine that!).  I've been helping by getting Dave's sticks and bringing in his garbage cans, and I was hoping his kids would pick up the walnuts before they mowed.  They might not have a choice next time, though.  Dave agreed with me, it's going to be a banner season for walnuts this year.
  • Not a walnut tree pictured here, but the base of the maple that will be coming down.  I realized that in front of neighbor Dave's house will be the last maple on the street, but my wife noticed a red maple toward the top.  How many years did it take to look like this, 50, 70, more?
Okay, that's enough typing.  It's Monday and I'm tired and want to move on to other things.  Have a great week, everyone.

Walnut count: 36

8 comments:

Blue Witch said...

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-age-maple-trees-76093.html for ageing maple trees... it would be interesting to compare this to the rings you can count once it is felled.

How sad that only 3 of you turned up to the publicised creek watch. And as for Dave's kids not bothering to pick up the walnuts before mowing... Well, those two things just exemplify the state of the world I guess...

And 15lbs - are you sure that Basil isn't actually a lion in smaller cat's cloting?!

Scoakat said...

About 67 to 89 years, using the circumference (112") times .6 and .8, per your link, thank you. About 107 years using the pi method, so a wide estimate. I was just about to go out and put the grill away so I just had my wife help me measure, so good timing!

Yes, Dave's kids are roughly my age and I see grandson and son-in-law more often than them, normally. But they have been getting him around and doing his errands. And we've let Dave know more than once that if he needs anything...

Basil has always had a larger frame, especially compared to Hamish's slight frame. And he visits the food dish much more often.

Blue Witch said...

I identify with Basil :)

And I guess that trees also vary in growth according to their position and nutrition, hence the range you've go there.

delcatto said...

Basil is a big boy although our two, Sherlock and Watson were similar. Sherlock large and Watson petite and very feminine looking but he had a huge appetite.Hopefully both now settled.

It is a shame so few turned up for that walk.

Scoakat said...

The cats were back to being themselves by the next day, for the most part. But I got the evil eye when taking the carriers downstairs for storage. :)

It wasn't a highly publicized event, just a sign at the place for a couple weeks prior and posted on the city's website. I asked the other two and one saw the sign like me and the other on the website.

delcatto said...

We have a chap who leads regular Monday walks, generally five miles or so and he has gradually increased the group from several people to fifty eight last Monday. I would love to join in but I am generally still at work or just finishing. He is the Canoe cleaner who cleans and tidies up the river. He started the latter during lockdown and continued with some local companies funding him a small amount. He is now linked up with all sorts of local ecological and voluntary groups including the chalk streams charity. When I do eventually retire I intend to join in.

delcatto said...

Lol. I forgot to mention, our three moggies take little notice of the carriers until we move them from the spare room. That's when the evil eye and escape routes sought out!

Scoakat said...

That sounds like a nicer event, and good exercise. He must be a likeable guy, a bit of charisma, to engage so many.

Yes, they're on to us!