Thursday, September 27, 2012

Latest Listening Pleasure... Andrew Bird

Andrew Bird at Overture Hall, Madison WI 9/26/12 - A short review

Last night Andrew Bird and his band kicked off his fall tour in Madison.  We went to see him at the same place almost exactly three years ago and it was a show that I enjoyed very much.  He layered his sounds very well and connected with the very respectful audience.  Back then flash photography was not tolerated and you saw very few cell phone lights during the show.  Last night seemed a bit more disjointed, both on stage and in the crowd.  There seemed to be fewer people this time and more photos, cell phones and shouts to the stage.

He is an artist and his music evolves over time, with the albums showing a snapshot, so you don't always hear what you expect.  Last night, his layering of sounds sounded more haphazard to me as well, oftentimes I would lose any semblance of beat or rhythm while trying to tap my toe.  Now, I did enjoy the evening, but I do think he was better in 2009.  My wife and I had good seats, mezzanine - front row center, though she found the height a bit dizzying.  Overall, with dinner and a short trip down State Street, it was a very nice evening.

When it comes right down to it, I enjoy his music very much.  I have enjoyed listening to him often recently in anticipation of this show, and that is why Andrew Bird is my Latest Listening Pleasure.    Enjoy.

Andrew Bird - Eyeoneye

No comments: