Saturday, September 28, 2019

The Starkweather Slide Step - Part II

When I posted a week ago I didn't know it would be a whole week before I could follow it up with part two, but a busy week and required overtime and here we are.  I'll tell you right now there will be a part three because I do want to get out sometime this weekend to make the walk around and see the view from the other side of the creek to get a closer look at the steps and a different view of the slide.

But first things first, let's take a look at the completion of both projects, steps and slide - after the break!

Wednesday, September 11

Those look like some fun toys.

Planning is very important.

This is the Bobcat with the auger, drilling into the ground.

Locked, fenced and coned for the night.

Doesn't appear to be much, but work has been done.

Thursday, September 12

The slide starts to take shape today.

First glimpse of what it will be.

Friday, September 13

A lot of trucks for such a small project, but many hands make light work.


Not sure they appreciated an audience as placing the pipes seemed a bit difficult.

So I took a walk upstream.  The landscaping around the steps is done for now - and the ducks...

The ducks have moved in.

Back down by the slide it was still a struggle.

But they were closer.  I left them to it, confident they could sort it without me.

Saturday, September 14

They had worked some long days during the week, and came back Saturday to finish.  After they left and by the time I walked down there the ducks had moved in.




So this is what a canoe/kayak slide looks like.  I tried to get an idea from google images, but that actually wasn't much help.  Well, it looks like it would work.  I'm not sure it's been used yet, but I think that would be interesting to see.

As I noted earlier, I plan on taking a walk all the way around this section of the creek, bridge to bridge, so I hope to share part 3 sooner than it took to get this posted. See you then!

3 comments:

delcatto said...

Launching canoes off that slide looks like it could be fun and very wet.
The ducks have claimed their natural aquatic supremacy and thank their servants for the hard work!

Scoakat said...

I want to see it being used, but it does look like it would be interesting.

And, oh, the ducks... More to come.

Blue Witch said...

Reminds me of that Lemon Jelly song, "All the ducks are swimming in the water..." I hate that song. Hear it once and you'll be singing it for weeks.

I don't think that slide would meet H&S requirements over here these days, and would certainly not be publicly funded in these times.

Did they do any research to determine whether the facility was needed there?