Saturday, September 21, 2019

The Starkweather Slide Step

I mentioned previously that the city was going to put in a canoe/kayak slide into Starkweather Creek at the end of our street and, further upstream on the other side, steps leading down to the creek.  I also said that I would post a pictorial of the process, which I found a little difficult because I have a whole bunch of pictures and needed to pare them down.  In the end, I decided to go in date order, only of the days I made the walk down to see, of course.  There's still a lot of pictures, but date order should help keep them in context.

The project started later than expected, it was scheduled to begin August 12.  We received a letter from the city earlier in August letting us know of the plans and the schedule.  I'm sure other projects were delayed, you can't really depend on timelines for these kinds of things as they are at the hand of the weather.  And it seems the contractor concentrated on completing the steps before fully starting on the slide.  At least they did not limit our parking as we were told would happen and all in all it was no bother to us.

So let's begin - after the break!

Saturday, August 24

The first sign of anything to come.
Tuesday, August 27

The area for the slide has been fenced off and prepared.

While at the same time a Bobcat is removing rocks in the area for steps to be added across and upstream.

The bike path bridge upstream.  As a side note, Madison had its first murder of 2019 somewhere in that grassy area ahead just days before, on August 23.  Link here.

The view from the bridge looking south.  The water is rather stagnant this day.

Friday, August 30

The rocks now removed from the bank where the slide will be.  I didn't walk up to the steps this day, but I probably should have.

Tuesday, September 10

10 days later there's been no progress on the slide area.

As the ducks wait patiently...

Here's why no progress on the slide, they've been working on the steps area.  I hadn't walked up since so I have no pictures of the actual build.

And the ducks still come...

And they start to gather...

Steps seem completed, but for some landscape seeding and protection.

A year ago a canoe or kayak wouldn't have made it under this bridge.  It's several feet lower now.

Another view, and the Monarch Waystation sign I posted a picture of last year.

With the steps done the slide area work can begin in earnest.

And I guess that starts with covering the area in rocks and gravel.  One way to get the greenery out of the way - bury it.

That's enough pictures for one post.  I know I didn't warn you this would be two parts - surprise!  I'll post the rest soon and try to get an updated picture of what it looks like now.  See you next time!

3 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Very interesting, thanks for posting. And "As the ducks wait patiently..." - priceless!

Those steps look very steep though?

Look forward to part 2.

delcatto said...

It looks interesting and I agree with BW about the steepness of the steps.
Will you be tempted to kayak once the work is completed?
I often think that we have a river and the old dock on our doorstep but apart from a few hardy swimmers and the canoe club using the dock, we never see anyone using the river.

Scoakat said...

Thanks and sorry, I'm still here. Some very long days, so it may be this weekend yet. And I should take the walk over the bridge and around to see the steps up close. I've wanted to, this will be a good reason to go look. (But the ducks....)