Friday, March 18, 2022

Latest Listening Pleasure 39 - The Warning

I can't remember exactly where or when I first learned of The Warning, but it was about 2 or 3 months ago and probably while in some Youtube rabbit hole.  They are the Villarreal sisters from Monterrey, Mexico.  Yes, sisters - Daniela, Paulina and Alejandra - and surprisingly young when you see some of their earlier videos as kids, but even then you could see the talent.  

I found they first got some popularity from an early cover of Metallica's song Enter Sandman back in 2014, and they actually collaborated on that song for Metallica's Blacklist album that came out last year.  They've been writing their own music now for a while and have a couple releases out there, and a new song coming out next Friday called Money.  And they do seem to have lots of fans already, with several Youtube channels posting all sorts of videos with and about them, even livestreams of their shows.

There's a 5 minute documentary video they released a few days ago and shows their charm and growth, musical and otherwise, including talking with the parents.  Unfortunately, though, it doesn't look like they allow embedding so you can see it here, I recommend it.

Instead, here's the latest video and single by The Warning, Disciple.

What seemed to catch me first was the voice.  I like a strong, female rock voice (think Lzzy Hale or Liv Sin).  Then to see her play guitar and sing live was impressive, while the younger sisters were no slouches, either.  Plus, I must admit, I was intrigued by the novelty of what were young kids playing good songs well.  They've grown up a bit now and play tight and loud and have some very good songs out.  I think the best is their most recent EP, Mayday, but that's to be expected as its the first I heard.  I have one earlier album from 2018, Queen of the Murder Scene, that is also very good and a little more diverse.

And if you know me, you know I love the live stuff.  Here's a great livestreamed show I watched almost a month ago.  Live, from Saltillo, Mexico; The Warning.

If they continue their current trajectory I think we'll all be hearing more of them in the future.  They're just about there, and I think one 'hit' song just might break it wide open for them.  Maybe I shouldn't have predicted that, I just know what I like and find interesting to listen to and lately this has been at the top of my list.  It's always fun when I find my next latest-greatest!

Previous LLP Posts:
LLP 1 - Pain
LLP 2 - Nightwish
LLP 3 - Die Antwoord
LLP 4 - Pain part 2
LLP 5 - Andrew Bird LIVE
LLP 6 - Nightwish part 2
LLP 7 - Paramore
LLP 8 - Newsted
LLP 9 - U.D.O. LIVE
LLP 10 - Nightwish Imaginaerum Movie
LLP 11 - Kiss
LLP 12 - Rick Springfield
LLP 13 - Hyrax
LLP 14 - In This Moment
LLP 15 - Faster Pussycat LIVE
LLP 16 - Sebastian Bach
LLP 17 - Cradle Of Thorns
LLP 18 - Amaranthe
LLP 19 - Lindemann
LLP 20 - Halestorm
LLP 21 - Garbage LIVE
LLP 22 - Arcade
LLP 23 - Nightwish LIVE
LLP 24 - Ace Frehley
LLP 25 - Darkc3ll
LLP 26 - Dementia
LLP 27 - Rammstein
LLP 28 - Marilyn Manson LIVE
LLP 29 - The Harp Twins LIVE
LLP 30 - Diamante
LLP 31 - Steel Panther LIVE
LLP 32 - Scum Of The Earth

No comments: