Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Another Tree Gone

A couple weeks ago another large tree limb fell out front, from the maple tree on the terrace of the house directly across the street, right in their driveway apron.  When the yellow dot showed up on the trunk shortly after we suspected it might be taken down, and today it was.

But first, I had the MRI last week and the other morning found out that a shot in the spine is recommended.  Exactly what I suspected when this first started, but you have to go through the whole, lengthy process.  Probably what my doctor suspected, as well, since he never did refer me to the neurosurgeon.  A week or two ago I was getting pretty worried it would be surgery, but the pain has lessened a bit since.  Next is scheduling the shot, but first I have to wait for pre-approval from my insurance.  I've forgotten how many back shots I've had overall, but actually this may be only third or fourth, to go along with the two prior surgeries.  Anyway, more waiting.  Back to the tree!

Last year three more trees on the block were taken down.  This picture, looking down our block, is from 2019.  The second tree down on the left side was removed in 2020, as were the second tree down on the right and another on that side about 6 houses further down.  The year after removal the city will come and get the stump, and sometimes will plant a new tree the year after that.  I hate to lose old, big trees but so goes the circle of life, I guess.  And now we won't worry so much about a branch falling on our cars when parked in the street.

I worked off and on today while I keeping tabs on the activity outside.  The cats certainly did not like the constant loud noise from out front so spent much of the day in the bedroom.  On top of the bed, thankfully, and not hiding under it.  In fact, there was much activity on the street today with this tree being removed by the city, a private company removing a tree up the block in someone's yard, and on the next block were a new front walk and a new driveway being put in at separate residences.  So there were a lot of workmen, big trucks and loud noises for much of the day.

But this is the picture story of this one tree's end across the street.  Pictures were taken from the front storm door window and the (dirty) front window, and I've not even reviewed them myself just yet, so we'll see what's interesting enough to post.  After the break!

The branch that fell, and the yellow dot that followed.  This picture is from May 28.  The top picture in the post and
the sign below are from yesterday, and all other pictures below are from today.



















The end.

3 comments:

Nic said...

Hope you get your shot soon and more importantly that it cures your problem!

Always a bit sad to see trees come down but obviously sometimes they have to. Interesting to see they took this one down the more conventional way. We have woods behind our property where they were taking out some trees recently. They were using a transformer like apparatus which held the trunk with one arm whilst another cut through the truck below. The cutting was just with a giant scissor-like claw, no chainsaws involved. In this way they widened a path through the woods taking out probably a hundred or so trees in a day!

Blue Witch said...

Roll on s-day! I always had the impression that US healthcare was efficient and quick. This lengthy and painful saga seems not to have been! Not as lengthy as our NHS is taking for such things currently, but, even so...

Surprised you weren't out there scrounging some of that tree wood for your firepits! I would have been....

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Nic, and yes, it's not just getting the shot but the shot has to be effective. Hopefully one and done this time!

They had to bring the tree down between lots of power lines and cables, so a larger machine would likely be too dangerous. Incredible, though, isn't it? How one man-made machine can undo collective centuries or more of growth in such a short time?


And thank you, BW. You can't rush the process - I learned that in 2018, too.

It always crosses my mind when I see good, free firewood. But gathering it and cutting it has gotten to be more of a chore at my age and with my back. I'll likely get another delivery sometime in July, I would guess. Not too many fires lately, too windy and/or hot. Plus the back, but next good night for a fire I got a buddy that will come over to build it and hang out!