Sunday, February 28, 2021

Thawing Out

By no means do I think we're finished getting snow this season, but we've enjoyed several days now of about 40ºF allowing for much of our snow to start melting.  Currently we've had more than 43 inches of snow, but March is usually good for a few good, wet snowstorms before allowing spring to fully take over.  Our snowpack must be less than 10 inches by now as I've been able to see the firepit for a few days, but I can still see it's full of snow, too.  It's a nice change shortly after getting below 0ºF for 12 days straight.  The forecast calls for even higher temperatures in the mid 40's all this week so the snow piles should melt further, though it gets looking very dirty as it reveals all the dirt in it as it melts.

We got out for a walk today for the first time this year, I'm ashamed to say.  It wasn't too chilly, but the wind could get to you a bit.   Starkweather Creek is thawed and flowing, and not showing signs of getting too high.  I didn't take my grabber and bag to pick up trash, but there was lots to see on our short walk so I will be picking it up next time.  There's some things about people I just will never understand.

I got a picture from the top of the street, similar to one of my favorite pictures from last year that I still have as my desktop background.  A stark difference with the bare trees, overcast skies and dirty, melting snow, but I like the difference.  I wish I would have gotten a picture like this when everything was covered in pretty, white snow.  March may still provide that opportunity.

Another difference in this picture is that a couple weeks ago the city removed 3 large trees on the street.  You can see the sawdust on the right side of the street, and just a bit further down on the left.  The third is further down on the right, out of sight here.  I hate to lose big trees on the street, they're one of my favorite things about living in an older neighborhood.  They might have been Ash trees, not sure, but the city has been eliminating those due to the Emerald Ash Borer, a beetle that kills Ash trees that has been spreading across the country.  And the red house on the left used to be yellow.

It was nice getting out of the house and getting some exercise.  Hopefully we keep it up and get out for more walks, and soon my attention will need to turn to rebuilding the raised garden beds.  I've been looking at materials, and I'll likely end up using treated lumber again and hope to get 10 years out of it.  It will be a lot of work and, while I'm sure I'll enjoy the process, I'll be very happy once it's done.

3 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I think we'll be making raised beds for the new veggie garden at the same time as you!

Interesting that you should have a beetle killing off ash trees... here we have 'ash dieback disease', caused by a fungus.

I'm glad our snow has gone now. More might still happen though... there was some in April a few years back we're told. One can get very frustrated at snow very quickly. 7 weeks, on and off, was more than enough for me.

delcatto said...

It is that time of year for sorting out the raised beds. I am considering moving my raised bed back to its original place as the Willow tree overshadows it. Sue wants me to cut the tree down but I like to keep trees. I will trim it back instead but otherwise leave it as it provides some privacy from the houses at the back.

Scoakat said...

I might be jumping the gun as it could be late April or May before I can work on the gardens, but it is definitely on my mind. As always, weather is the primary factor.

I agree, delcatto, save the tree. It does help with your privacy from what I've seen. Just have to trim it to Sue's liking!