Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Boat not Noah


I had a recent exchange with a podcaster that I listen to about every week or so.  Part of it was, I asked him to give my little blog here a look and I would welcome any advice he had to give me. He mentioned having a title that people could spell and pronounce.  I hadn't thought of it like that, I guess.  Then again, I'm not really sure what I'm doing here anyway, really.  I'm not looking for any commercial success or widespread whatever. (I know I did add some ads lately.  That was just me playing with this blog.  It kinda looks like a real blog now, huh?)  When it comes right down to it, this blog is 90% for myself.  Most of the rest is because it is an easy way for my family and some friends to know I'm well and what I'm doing.  I have never been referred to as a great communicator, I still don't have, need, or want a cell phone.

The word 'scoakat' is something I came up with when we got our very first computer and had to come up with names for these pesky username thingies.  What it is, is simply my and my wife's names combined: (not yelling) SCOTT AND KATE, SCO A KAT.  I have always pronounced the OA like boat or goat, not like Noah or boa.  It always rhymed with 'go cat' in my head.  My word, my grammar rules.

Oh, I can see how it seems difficult to pronounce or remember for other people.  People have had trouble pronouncing my last name for as long as I can remember.  1 in 100 gets it right and 95 of the other 99 say it as this podcaster did on the last show.  (Yes, he read my email on the show and I was horrified for about 3 seconds, then realized nobody I know listens.  Just as well, they probably wouldn't care if they did.)

So, Podcaster, thank you for having a look.  That makes me feel good.  I probably would have a link to your podcast here but, you must admit, the podcast was updated pretty inconsistently for a while there last year.  It has been like clockwork lately though.  I'm not going to link right now,  that would be too obvious.  I'm afraid my family may look you up instantly.  Anyway thank you for the advice,  it did open my eyes to something I hadn't considered.  If I want to get bigger I will think about changing the name.  For now, I think I'll just keep posting for me and the few visitors I do have and go from there.  Maybe just fade in to oblivion or suddenly just sto

No comments: