Saturday, June 29, 2024

Cable Update and Cheese Pennies

A couple hawks with a snack, across the street yesterday.
After finally getting cable TV canceled last month, no small feat, I changed my strategy a bit on Tuesday when I called to cancel cable internet.  I simply told them I was moving to Tokyo, which still didn't stop them from offering better deals or putting me on hold to delay me, but it did seem to go quicker this time.  I seemed to annoy them (again) that I would not end the call until they turned the internet off and I verified, but they had already proven their word could not be trusted.

Then, at the end of the call, he brought up one piece of equipment we supposedly still had - one of their modems.  I was pissed.  I told him it had been several years since we returned that modem, so long ago I couldn't remember what year or where I returned it.  He opened an inquiry and said it could take up to 72 hours.  Meanwhile, I looked up when we bought our first modem from Amazin' and it was March of 2014, so I would have returned their equipment by early April that year at the latest, over ten years ago.

Thankfully, later that night, I received an email that stated they have "completed your equipment research request in alignment with your expectations."  As far as I'm concerned, that better be the end of it.  Fuck Spectrum, I'll never be a customer of theirs again.


Meanwhile, I've continued to make cheese pennies every so often.  I'm finding it easiest to make multiple batches at once to have them available in the freezer.  I baked most of the last of a roll of mild cheddar cheese pennies yesterday, and today for the freezer I made bleu cheese (for the first time), parmesan, and sharp cheddar with cayenne cheese penny rolls.  (I've also made swiss cheese pennies before.)

Our first-place Brewers are playing the last-place Cubs this weekend.  It's always fun to beat the Cubs, especially this year.  Rain again last night and now too windy tonight for a fire, so I'm going to kick back and watch the game this afternoon and enjoy a quiet evening in.  Have a good weekend, everyone.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Your cheese pennies are so much more precise than mine! But, I am sure they all taste just as good. Great recipe, thanks for sharing inititally.

I loved the day a couple of months ago that I said bye bye to British Telecom. Since then they have tried to bill me several times. Each time I have sent them very rude emails along the lines of, 'Why are you so incompetent?' but with many more rude words in between. All I get in response is "Your payment has been cancelled at your request." FFS.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW. I found that it always needs a tablespoon of water, or half more with parmesan and maybe swiss, the drier cheeses. The recipe says to roll it, but I found that makes a crack in the center, at best, so I form it by hand. Once it starts to come together in the bowl I clean off the mixer and knead it into one ball in the bowl before kneading and squeezing while turning on a cheap cutting board like the blue one shown, eventually getting a length that feels right. That's why they're shaped more like squares with rounded corners.

I'm hoping this is the end of it for me and that it does not continue as yours seems to have. Sounds like BT has not said bye bye to you yet. I hope it resolves itself but if similar to here you may have to spend more time and get blunt, as I did. Terrible how companies that used to be honest will now cheat, lie and steal for any money they can get.

delcatto said...

Hmmm...sounds similar to an old mobile phone contract I had where they screwed up, I cancelled the contract and they threatened court action for £16.00. After much tooing and froing I paid it off to end the nonsense. Months later I received threatening letters and I eventually sent a letter back in one of their old prepaid envelopes with a copy of the paid receipt and a letter with "Fuck off with the harassment, take me to court " writ large across it. Never heard from them again part an occasional email offering mobile phone deals which I occasional find in my spam file.

Scoakat said...

When I was a kid, 10 or 11, I signed up for the Record Club where you get so many albums for a penny, then have to buy a few more at full price. I completed my part but somehow they thought I owed them one cent still, and sent several letters about it that I just ignored until they stopped.