Sunday, March 10, 2024

All That, And Cheese Pennies

As the days grow longer and the temperatures are warmer I'm reminded of how I haven't really walked the neighborhood since starting my new job.  Winter temperatures and very active work days seemingly justified the break, but my wife has suggested we start walking again when it gets a bit warmer and I think we should, too.  We can enjoy watching the neighborhood wake up from winter and grow into summer, until it's too hot to walk outside, maybe.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but since commuting every day I'd been saving dashcam videos of egregious traffic violations/stupidity/arrogance.  I soon stopped bothering as it's become so common in these times that I see at least one and often several egregious things every day.  Running red lights, not stopping at stop signs, cutting people off in traffic with not even a blinker, stupid speeds, tailgating, or you name it.  This just seems to be the new normal.  Look both ways, folks.

I've not yet had a fire this spring, but I'm sure it will happen in the next few weeks.  There have been crocus coming up in the lawn for at least a week now.  (I always want to type 'krokus' because of the band!) The new neighbors really opened up the other side of their back yard for access to trim the black walnut trees, which look real good now.  It's been 3.5 years since we had the back fence replaced and we've considered putting a matching fence on that side ever since, and now's the time.  There will be much more on that coming soon.

Yesterday I perused King Arthur's website for a quick and easy recipe for something I could make with what was in the house and I came across this recipe for Cheese Pennies.  Today, I decided to make them as a distraction from the Badger game, which they were not favored and did lose.  It was interesting getting the dough to come together, but with a bit of water it got there.  Everything was pretty easy and was done in a short amount of time.  They taste like one of the name brand cheesy cracker snacks but have a home made texture.  I got 69 crackers and the recipe says about 80, so I may have sliced some a bit thick.  Overall, a fun experiment and a tasty, cheesy snack.  Good to try but not sure if I'll ever make it again.

And finally, before I forget to post these, I came across a recent PBS video of a show about Madison.  I found it interesting and noticed they did one about Dodgeville last year.  They're almost a half hour long, so only for the interested.  Links to the Madison and Dodgeville PBS videos are under those words.

I'm looking forward to spring, a big fence project, and more backyard privacy.  Among other things, of course.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving is appalling here too. Most roads are narrow and twisty and the national single lane speed limit of 60mph. People come up fast behind you, then at the last minute swerve out and overtake, without signalling. This seems to be irrespective of whether there is a bend, a side road junction or a hill. Madness.

I might have a play with making those cheese pennies with a gluten free flour mix as they look tasty and I prefer savoury to sweet. Your cutting looks very precise!

Good luck with the fence work.

delcatto said...

Those cheese pennies look tasty, you could trial different cheeses for subtle flavour changes.

It seems driving is be awful the world over, Sue gets really annoyed and shouts at them.

Scoakat said...

I'm afraid driving habits are just a reflection of our society. Everyone for themselves and no proper courtesy anymore.

Thanks for the kind words on the cheese pennies, they are tasty. I haven't needed to make baguettes in a few weeks so felt like making something. I'll be making baguette this weekend with a few changes; 50/50 AP/bread flour, a new (once used) couche and a new transfer peel for that process, and I think I may sift the flour this time. Hopefully I can get a nice, airy crumb.

Blue Witch said...

I haven't made them yet, but I have printed the recipe. For once a company who manages to make a recipe with a print button that prints, in legible size font, onto one page. Hurrah, bodes well! BTW, your pennies are definitely neater than theirs!

Scoakat said...

Good luck! Make sure the butter is completely softened, and even then you may need a couple teaspoons of water for the dough to start to come together - but not too much water! Cheddar was good, and I guess I'm still interested enough that I might try it again with a different cheese.

My next recipe to try is an odd duck. A 3-2-1, I call a "cheater" recipe, not real baking. I got the ingredients yesterday, so if it's not a disaster I'll post it when I make it.