Thursday, June 13, 2024

Night Lights

So, I guess I like solar lights.  Granted, we have many right now.  

And the fire pit is a little northeast of center here.

Two in the tree stump area, the oldest and was 3 until recently; six bulb clusters along the back fence, new yet needed new rechargeable batteries to work well; and 4 new, colorful butterfly ensembles along the garage.  And so what?  It's mostly fenced in now and on the side without a fence neighbor Jane has complimented what she can see.  

I'm hoping to enjoy a fire along with the lights tomorrow night.



Another angle, including the garage lights and all 6 in back.  The only solar light missing is one by the back door.  The mosquitoes attacked the hell out of me when I took this picture, I stocked up on repellants yesterday.  If I do get to have a fire tomorrow night it will require much mosquito spray and a late shower before bed.

6 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Yes they are pretty, and in an area where there is already light pollution (eg street lights), a bit more (and where it is from solar lights rather than battery or mains ones) probably makes little difference.

However... lights in dark sky areas (such as where we now live) are very damaging to wildlife - moths, bats etc etc, and to astronomers' mental health (ie mine!). Farms and quarries who leave high-powered mains lights on all night under the pre-text of 'security' are anti-social. If there wasn't light, thieving people wouldn't be able to see exactly what there was to nick! I'm doing quite well at getting my message across locally ("Oh, we never thought of thaat!") and the offending lights are slowly reducing :)

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW, and I agree, we live in two very different places and I would think differently as well if I lived more remotely.

You'll end up on the local council yet! :)

I mowed the back yard after work and escaped relatively unscathed, one bite and a few nibbles, but I will be fully sprayed with repellant if I do have a fire. Final decision by 7:38 as the sun sets an hour after.

delcatto said...

I do like solar powered lights and yours are lovely but, we now have just one left and I have no plans for anymore. The two large extremely bright street lights in the new build behind us have stopped working (Hooray!) and I can see more of the night sky on clear nights. We have bats locally so hopefully those lights will stay off.

Kel said...

We love them too! So pretty at night. Looks great!

Blue Witch said...

"You'll end up on the local council yet! :)"

No, I have Mr BW for that. I load the bullets, he fires them ;)

More than 10 years now, in 2 locations.

A couple of months ago, local council Chair shouted at Mr BW in a public meeting (Mr BW is the most practical, unassuming, positive person you could ever meet) and then (fortunately, and before I could put in a formal complaint) resigned at the next meeting.

We are getting there... beating thousands of years of history is possible, if you persevere...

Most of them have never been more than 30 miles from where they were born in the whole of their lives...

Scoakat said...

I did have a fire that night, and it was nice. One thing to note, the back hostas were too big for the solar lights to charge sufficiently so they have been moved to the tree stump area. I keep trying to check them out there to be sure they work as expected but it gets dark so late now, I have to be in bed.