Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Halloween 2023 and First Snow

Happy post-Halloween, everyone.  It was mostly a quiet night around here, so thankfully I got only about a third of the candy we had last year.  We got just 9 trick-or-treaters this year, but were only one of 3 houses on the block that I noticed had their lights on.  The last two kids were growing mustaches and it was pretty cold so I shut it down about 7:00.  It barely got above freezing yesterday with occasional light snow flurries off and on all day for our first snow of the year, though it didn't stick.  

I carved a pumpkin again to display on the front steps last night, and today it is on the stump in back waiting to be ravaged by the squirrels and rabbits.  I have the trail camera aimed in that direction but I got a pretty good video of it getting eaten bit by bit last year.  The mummy in the windows was showing wear on the fold seams, and I was getting tired of it so this was the last year for that.  I also pulled out the mask with the moving mouth LED lights to wear again but that wasn't working right so is also in the trash now.

We had a good run, but I'm not sure I'll do so much next year.  It doesn't seem worth it for just a handful of kids so maybe just candy next year, and maybe the flickering flame light bulb again, too, since I have it just for this holiday.  Hope you had fun if you chose to celebrate.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

That Mummy gives me the creeps every year. But I shall miss it now it's gone!

Is your neighbourhood 'ageing' in that the kids who previously came have grown up and moved out and the parents stay on, hence fewer young people, or is it something else?

Scoakat said...

The last couple years I looked for something else for the window, but found nothing. We had the mummy since Halloween 2017 and used it every year since, so it's time.

Yes, most of the neighborhood kids are or are almost high school age, so not moved out but a bit old for trick or treating now.

delcatto said...

I quite like the Mummy but perhaps a werewolf next time if they make them or a tax inspector!

Scoakat said...

I'm open to something new, if I can find this kind of thing again.