Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Happy Halloween 2022, and Wood

I'm not really a holiday person but for taking advantage of the occasional paid days off work, but of all the holidays I like Halloween the best.  It has the most fun imagery and characters, with the least apparent religious connections.

I wore the same mask as I did last year since these are still Covid times, and again it went over pretty well with the few trick or treaters that came by.  We had over 400 pieces of candy to hand out, after our own nibbling the last few days.  We waited to get candy so we wouldn't get into it, but we buy the candy we like so what else would happen?  We expected lots more kids to come by this year than last, but that was far from the case as we only got a dozen or so.  Leftover candy will go in the freezer.

I had bought a pumpkin for the first time in maybe 20 years, and carved it with the classic jack-o-lantern face.  And I used a sharp kitchen knife, just as I used when I was a kid, and I still have all my fingers.  Later, after I bought this one, I saw the lumpy gray ones for sale that you don't normally see.  I like the look of them, maybe a bit spookier, so next year I'm going to have to keep an eye out and get one of those if I can.

And for the 5th year in a row (skipping 2020) I put the mummy in the front corner windows.  I kind of like it, and it's a good decoration for a few hours while the kids come around.  At the same time I bought the mummy I bought a couple window cling film decorations but it's always been too cold to try to put them on the door windows in years past, but the weather was very good for Halloween this year so I finally got them out and put them on the front storm door.  It was only 2019 when we had several inches of snow for the holiday and the other years we've been colder than what we've seen this year so far.  And our immediate forecast is rather favorable, too.

Favorable enough weather for weekend fires for some time yet.  Fresh load of firewood after the break!


I got another face cord of wood delivered today, first firewood delivery of the year.  I don't seem to have as many since the firepit was my pandemic social life the last couple years.  

After a few errands after work, including two more vaccinations (I think that makes 10 in the last 3 years), my lovely wife helped me get it all stacked.  There were some longer pieces this time, so the only regard in stacking was the space between the wood and the fence so I could get the cover over that side.  And not throwing my back out, of course.

The small stack of wood next to the chopping block is what is left over, while the larger stack to the left of that is new wood that wouldn't fit on the rack.

The pumpkin has been relegated to the stump for the critters to munch on if they wish, then will eventually end up in the compost bin.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Brilliant pumpkin carvery! That mummy thing gives me the creeps every time I see it.

The weather here has been unseasonably warm but threatens to go below 0 degrees C for the first time tonight. Cue frantic dashing around the garden to get all the remaining tender plants collected up and put into the greenhouse.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW, just a simple, classic jack-o-lantern face. Currently getting gnawed on by a squirrel!

delcatto said...

That display is very creepy and very effective. I have to admit that apart from listening to some ghost stories on-line Halloween passed us by this year.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, delcatto, but I still think it's pretty modest as these few things here are simple. And If every year were so few trick or treaters I just may do the same as you! Giving the kids (and parents) a smile is what makes it fun for me.