Sunday, November 20, 2022

The Demise of Jack O. Lantern

What a difference a week or two can make.  Three weeks ago I got a load of wood and thought the outlook was good for several more fires before winter would not allow it, and I haven't had a fire since.  Due to weather; first wind, then wet, now snow and cold.  I still have hope as it's early yet in the season.

Today I brought in the trail camera to go through the pumpkin-eating footage, and there was lots to go through.  It was triggered enough that it ran out of space early on November 14th, so no footage of the snow we had for days afterward.  The camera is low on purpose and crooked not-on-purpose, and shakes in the wind or if the squirrels shake the chain link fence.  Still, I was happy with the footage it captured this time out.  I have video evidence of a neighbor's two cats that appear to hunt in our back yard at night, the likely backyard shitters.  Now I want to think of a new place to put the camera for a while.  It's interesting to see what goes on in your yard when you're not around.

I narrowed down the 10-second video clips to 103, out of 482, which would still be over 17 minutes long - and no one wants to watch that.  I also wasn't going to mess with the chronological order or edit any of the clips, just stitch them together.  But, of course, it was my first time using Clipchimp software, so it was interesting going, but manageable.

Anyway, the next pare-down was to 27 of the most interesting clips coming in at less than 5 minutes, a more reasonable length, I think.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kel said...

Haha love that! Squirrels ate our pumpkins on the front steps this year too!

delcatto said...

The squirrels certainly got their moneys worth out of that.

Scoakat said...

The bottom part is still out there, but has been frozen for a few days (which hasn't stopped them) so will turn to mush when it thaws.

Blue Witch said...

Spooky glow-in-the-dark eyes! I didn't know that rabbits would eat pumpkin. And the quality of the footage from that camera is very good for the price. Thanks for sharing!

Scoakat said...

Actually, I hadn't considered the rabbits, either. They seemed to know when the camera was triggered, too. The squirrels not so much.