Monday, August 14, 2023

San Damiano

San Damiano has been a Friary on the shores of Lake Monona since the late 1800's until 2001 when it was bought by the City of Monona.  Young seminarians stayed here to pray, study and recreate while attending the University of Wisconsin.  It sits on about 10 acres including Indian burial mounds and what is probably the largest undeveloped lakefront left on the Madison lakes.  It's interesting to look into, but I'll just leave this link and this link for you to see for yourself, if you wish.

I've been trying to get us outside for lunch on Sundays, whether it be al fresco at a restaurant or take-out food in a park, preferably on the water but not required.  Sunday we stopped and got some sub sandwiches and headed to San Damiano, a place we've driven by thousands of times but hadn't yet visited since the city opened it as a park while they figure out exactly what they're going to do with the property.

It was overcast, and sprinkling very lightly when we arrived but not enough to spoil lunch and a short walk around.  Eventually the rain got heavier, so we went on our way with our day but we do want to go back when it's a little nicer out.

I hope they keep it much as it is.  It's a very nice oasis in the middle of the city.  More after the break.








4 comments:

delcatto said...

It looks like a lovely place for a picnic and chilling out. Hopefully it continues for music, theatre and other activities for the local community.

Scoakat said...

With the history and the burial mounds I don't thing they'll be able to do much else, thankfully. The archeological survey hasn't taken place yet.

And I misspoke, it is the largest undeveloped shoreline in the City of Monona.

delcatto said...

They've not done the archaeology yet? Any chance they could ask for volunteers as it would be fascinating to do that if that appeals to you.

Scoakat said...

I just went to look for where I read that about the archeological and finally looked at the 3D tour of the house at the first link here. Interesting, good features but old and unkept. The plan is to remove it for a building with a shelter.

Didn't find exactly where I read that though I'm sure I did, but I signed up for the email updates so I should hear, I would think.