Sunday, August 6, 2023

Sunflowers Update

The big sunflower is over 8 1/2 feet tall now, almost as tall as me standing on the landing outside the back door.  Certainly taller than my lovely 5 foot 4 inch wife who kindly agreed to pose next to it for scale.  

All of the sunflower plants, even the smaller ones and the barely alive one behind the one in the corner, are finally starting to grow their flowers.  Whether they all come to fruition we'll find out, but I expect at least the big one to bloom eventually.  This has been an interesting experiment, and I look forward to growing sunflowers again next year, though maybe a different type.


5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I love the way that Kate matches the sunflower!

Considering how far behind ours yours were, yours have certainly won the race.

Amazing what a bit of sun can do... One day... Perhaps if the jetstream ever gets back into its normal position.

Scoakat said...

Thank you BW, have you posted a picture of yours? I was just out there and it's almost as tall as me now standing where she is, just another day or two. I'm looking forward to it blooming very much.

I'm thinking of just fencing off that whole corner next year when I plant. I'll look for seeds closer to that time - or may get some from these, forgot about that!

delcatto said...

Good size for that sunflower and yes, save the seeds and plant them next year.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, delcatto. Next year should be much better with what I've learned this year.

Scoakat said...

The sunflower is officially taller than than me* standing on the landing today. Must be 9 foot tall now.

*Officially 6'4" but honestly a good notch less these days. Due to age and 3 spinal surgeries, I figure.