Monday, July 3, 2023

Holiday Weekend Updates

Happy holiday weekend, everyone.  I know not everyone has today off, but I took it off to have a four day weekend with the Fourth of July tomorrow.  Anyway, so far I've had a one mow May and a 1/2 mow June; will I mow in July?  I only remember because I noted it here, but I first mowed this year on May 13, then mowed only the back yard on June 4, and it looks like it may be some time yet before I mow again.  The front yard is mostly brown while the back is mostly hanging on to green and all of it stopped growing long ago but for going to seed.

Raspberries are almost done and today I noticed the first several walnuts had fallen in the yard.  But where are the helicopters from the maple trees?  They normally fall like rain later in the spring, causing a cleaning of the gutters, but so far nothing.  I can't even be sure if I see them in the trees or not.  As dry as it's been it may be possible that there won't be any this year, or maybe a very few.  The humidity finally arrived last week, so temperatures that were more than bearable before now require the air conditioning on and outside chores planned around the weather.

All four sunflowers are still alive, two seem to be doing very well while the other two almost died but recovered though they seem stunted, so we'll see how they do.  But the other two are looking very promising.

The bird feeder now requires refilling once a day.  It's gone in less than a day but I will only refill it once a day.  I got the gardens cleaned up somewhat this morning, including digging up the monster oregano plant, leaving just a tiny sprig to live on.   We gave up on the strawberries, they exist only for the critters now.  And I have the new trail camera trained on the stump where I've been putting the extra peanuts from the bird food (since too many clog the feeder) so will have to bring that in soon and see what's been enjoying the feasts I put out.  And I've painted more doors.

Yes, after painting the front door there was still a lot of the quart of paint left over so we decided to paint the back porch door and the side garage door.  And there's still at least 1/3 of the quart left but I think that's enough painting for now.  Henceforth we may be known as the Purple Door House!

I'll put pictures of the doors after the break.

Still have to clean up the glass with a razor, but otherwise done.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Those sunflowers have grown amazingly quickly!

I've been noticing a few new purple doors (but only in towns) over here too, so it must be the latest trend!

Happy beleated Independence Day.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW, several small projects and chores satisfyingly done and still plenty of rest.

The purple doors may have always been there, perhaps just more noticeable to you now? :)

Oh, and I forgot to note that air quality is back to normal, 20-30. For a few days we had the worst in the world in our region.

delcatto said...

Garden looking good and walnuts, I love walnuts. Do you pickle them as well as use them in cooking?

The purple is very striking, a lovely colour.

Scoakat said...

Walnuts, I pick them up with the grabber and toss them in the corner behind the lilac. Too much work for too little nut when store bought is pretty cheap. I do remember doing it as a boy, though. That's probably why there's no way I'd clean walnuts myself now. This time of year they're still growing, as well, so not fully developed yet.

Thank you, Delcatto, I definitely like the purple front door. The others I'm getting used to, but both doors were old and dirty so anything is an improvement.