Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Smoke and Air Quality

Edit: Just noticed the Hazardous spelling :)
Tuesday morning our Air Quality Index number was 198, officially Unhealthy and bordering on Very Unhealthy.  This morning our air quality index number was 295, almost Hazardous  - per the Air Quality Index.

This is all smoke from some of about 500 current wildfires in Canada funneled down in circumstance of weather and winds.

According to the news, being outside here this whole 24 hour day today is the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes.  The haze is noticeable and the air a bit thicker and with a smell of smoke.  The only escape other than quick travel far, far away is staying indoors with the windows shut and the air conditioning on, which we started doing earlier today.

I've had my own issues with it as a former smoker, but everyone will notice to some degree or another.  I took half a day off today, not fully because of this but we were slow and it was noticeable to the point of distraction for me this morning.  I have the time to take and I deserve it, so I did.  But while I took a walk despite the air yesterday I won't be walking today.  The recommendation is everyone stay indoors and use an air purifier if you have one, but I'm sure most people are continuing as normal and doing what they need to do, inside or outside.  Life goes on, just with a new topic of conversation.

3 comments:

delcatto said...

Yes, best to be cautious and stay indoors as that is horrendous. I don't understand why so many fires and why those that result from arson, what on earth does the individual gains from arson? Stay safe.

Blue Witch said...

But Trump says climate change isn't real! And he's likely to be your next President?

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Delcatto. Arson is terrible, of course, but I feel the lack of rain and suppression of fires for decades is more of the issue.

Back the truck up, BW :)
Yes, climate change is surely a factor in the weather to cause the conditions, but fires have always and should happen naturally so suppression and drought I think of as bigger reasons for the fires. And even though I didn't think it likely he'd be president a first time I think it's even less likely now, and I hope not to be shocked again. I also see no viable younger options than what we're getting right now, which I find unsettling.

And our air quality warning that was to expire today has been extended through tomorrow. (Should I have a fire pit this weekend and, if so, should I wear a mask while doing so?) Current AQI is 155, but seems to be worse in the mornings and gets better throughout the day. I never had to paid attention to this stuff before this week!