Monday, June 5, 2023

Dry Pink Sunflowers

Well, I don't feel like writing but I should at least draft some notes of what I've been meaning to write about.

Recently the trail camera pictures and video have had a pink hue.  Well, I finally looked it up and it is a filter used for night vision that is supposed to move over the lens depending on the light level, but gets stuck while over the lens even in bright light.  I tried the couple hints of what to do without luck, but the last time I unloaded the card there was a small section of files that were in true color, so it did work for a short time again.

Four sunflowers still alive (out of 50 seeds) and all in the corner of the house/porch/stairs.  The first round of planting was pretty willy-nilly, and most if not all of those seeds got dug up and eaten.  Second round of planting was a bit more thought out, but similar results.  The last 8 seeds then got planted in this corner, and I put a little fence around them.  From those, one came up in the corner by the porch, the biggest one currently.  One was coming up further away from the porch side, by the house, and from one of the prior plantings.  I soon got a fence around it, too.  And there were two smaller ones coming up in the corner by the house from the last planting.  There was one coming up in a perfect spot by the back corner of the garage, but that got eaten and dug up before I had the wits to fence it in.  I'll know better next time.

Two weeks with hardly any rain.  So I mowed first time this year back on May 13 and not again until June 4, and even then I only mowed the back yard.  So far without rain the back yard seems to be holding its own for now, while the front lawn is almost fully brown.  We have a sprinkler for such a situation, but it's way too early to panic.  The sunflowers and garden get watered, that's enough for now.

So much for not feeling like writing, I guess.  I'll grab a picture of the sunflowers to add and call it a post!

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

This might be a daft question, but why do you direct sow rather than, for example, sow inside, in a pot/container, then plant out later? We direct sow almost nothing - only radishes, carrots and potatoes - and have few losses when planting out as 4-6" high plants (which we can protect with grids/cages/netting or eggshells).

Has your climate always been as it is, or has it changed noticeabley in recent years? It's scarily dry here already.

Scoakat said...

Most sources I researched online recommend planting them directly rather than start them in a container due to the tap root. It can be done, and Nic said he does that, but being an amateur I went with the majority and the easy way.

I think our climate has always been similar, it just can vary greatly. This early hot spell we had, for example. As high as the creek was several years ago it is currently low. Thankfully comfortable temps for us in the coming week or more. Oh, and a shower today, but more is needed.

delcatto said...

We sowed our wildflower seeds directly in the raised bed and it is odd. One half of the raised bed is full and looking very green with plants, the other half is incredibly sparse with an odd spindly plant here and there. I suspect it is lack of sun but could also be the compost. The only critter we have to contend with are snails and slugs. We really could do with some sunshine and not the cloudy dry days we currently have.

Blue Witch said...

Sunflowers may have tap roots, but not when they are small! I've never thought of sunflowers as something that has a particularly big tap root anyway. Much less wastage to sow in a tray (or even in toilet roll middles - which are nice and long - and the whole lot can be planted when they are at the 6 leaf stage). Much less wasteful of seed and much less hit and miss.

The other thing we do when we plant out our pot-raised seeds/young plants is not to plant all of them out at once. Hold back 6-8 and then if there are any losses, you have a Plan B!

Scoakat said...

I looked at many sites when I researched and most recommended direct sowing. Even the seed packet directed it, but also says, "If you insist on starting indoors..."

Inexpensive and I approached it as a learning experience, and I've learned what I'd do next time, so far anyway. So I have no worries.

I do find it odd sometimes when I see people in other places around here that can grow or plant anything and it be undisturbed whereas we have so many critters and much disturbance of our gardens and same plants. Much more than normal, I'm realizing. Hell, we gave up on tomatoes and right now, fenced and netted, the strawberries are still attacked. Good thing we're just casual gardeners.