Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rain!

We finally had some beneficial rain yesterday, and a couple more good, shorter showers today.  

Yesterday it rained pretty good most of the day from before midday to later in the evening, officially 1.68 inches in Madison.  And right now the second of two good scattered rainshowers is finishing up.  I'm not sure how this will affect our drought status of D3 (Extreme Drought) yet, but I'm sure we still need much more.  The site linked under the blue words in the last sentence (and now in the right column) reminded me of 2012, when we were even drier so far in the year, to the 2018 floods and high lake levels, and here now in 2023 a drought again.  

The pendulum swings...

5 comments:

Scoakat said...

Also to mention: Our last day with as much precipitation was a snowstorm in March, and as rain was on September 11 last year, over 300 days ago. (!)

delcatto said...

Wow! That's a long time to go without rain.

I'm currently listening to the rain pouring down outside.

Scoakat said...

Over 300 days since the last time we had 1.68" or more in one day, is all. We've had showers from time to time but nothing really beneficial. We might get another passing shower soon here, or it may miss us again, we'll see.

I tried to get the sunflowers in the pic while showing the wet. The big one is about 5.5 feet tall now, and still growing strong.

Blue Witch said...

Great pic of the rain ripples.

We've had plenty here too (bit not a smuch as you I think) and the runenr beans have gone from small and dried out to a foot long and juicy in 4 days!

Your sunflowers are bionic cf ours, which are still green and small.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW, just sprinkling at that time of the pic or I'da been soaked. As far as I can tell by looking on the internet we're 8 inches of rainfall lower than average so far this year. But I hate how I can't find a good, clear online source for local weather statistics. Most that I share here are what I hear on the local tv weather segment.