Sunday, July 30, 2023

Atwoodfest 2023

With Kate having a 'dad' day on Saturday we went to Atwoodfest on Sunday this year.  Thankfully the heat broke right before the weekend so it was warm but not uncomfortable and the sky was blue with puffy white clouds here and there.  A beautiful weekend for a neighborhood festival.  We got there early today, shortly before noon, so we had to wait just a bit for the beer to be sold and the bands to start playing at noon.  On the main stage at noon was local band Steely Dane and they have a following so that crowd had their own area, with smaller stages at the top and bottom of the street of the few blocks closed off for the festival.

We got lunch from a few of the several vendors/food carts while making our way up and down the street a few times.  And we were surprisingly good at resisting the temptation to buy many, varied wares that we just don't need.  A nice outing, and a much needed walk for me after not walking much in the last week due to the heat.  Hope you had a nice weekend, too.

We were early, but I didn't mind it less crowded.


Of course we had to stop for ice cream on the way home, sitting by the bike path.


Saturday night's fire, less common this year but still happens occasionally. *Night Sight camera feature, so appears brighter than actual.









9 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I can see where all the sunshine is, share it round a bit would you? :)

The lighting in that firepit picture is delicious. I can see it says it's a night setting so not that bright, but it's very evocative.

The Fest looks fun, and less crowded is always better as far as I am concerned. I can remember your photos from past years too.

delcatto said...

Good to see this and I echo BW, we could do with some sunshine!
Loving the fire-it.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, plenty of sun and heat here. I'd trade for more rain as we're still D3 (extreme drought), updated weekly.

Yes, I'm trying to not post things that I've posted a lot of before (fire pits, gardens and creek/bike path, for example) but I think I'll always have to note this event.

Any neighborhood/community festivals by where each of you are?

Blue Witch said...

Not many - just a few quaint olde-worlde village fetes, like those I remember from my childhood, but all when Mr BW has been down south and, as I have no car when he is not here, I haven't been able to get to them.

Sheep don't really do events... Nice Nearest Neighbour is 70 next Sunday and let slip that she is out for the evening with friends on Saturday, so we are going to balloons and banner-bomb her house while she is out. She has lived alone for nearly 25 years since her husband died, and pretends not to like fuss about birthdays and such things, but we're hoping she will be secretly delighted! If not we're in trouble!!!

I love seeing your photos, they are often very different to what we have over here, and it's interesting to see the changes over time, so post away!

Scoakat said...

We normally skip several here, some also called Fete rather than Fest, but are always sure to go to Atwoodfest. A couple more nearby in August, but we'll see.

Good luck with NNN, I'm sure she'll be touched! Sounds like you may have made a very good friend. :)

Thank you, BW, just trying not to repeat too much. Makes me more creative in thinking of what to post and sometimes considering writing about something will give me the extra push to get out and do it, like the upcoming festivals, maybe?..

delcatto said...

Given I post endless model building updates I wouldn't worry about repeating yourself. In my defence I regard my blog as a record of the models I build but it's good to see what happens locally with you. Hopefully I will start posting more images of the town and locality in a couple of months time.

We have a the Viking fest again in September and there was a recent food fest in Cleethorpes but I had little interest in that.

Scoakat said...

But the models change, delcatto, and a great record to have. I always try to mention events and milestones here, and have looked back to recollect often. I do find the more unusual kits, types, methods, and details most interesting, I admit. I may not always comment on it, but I read every word and even envious of the outlet. My equivalent is probably watching youtube shows, that's not good.

I remember you posting about Viking Fest in the past. And yes, like BW I enjoy seeing pictures of some of the wonderful things you see all the time. I look forward to it, even!

Most if not all of our neighborhood festivals are music festivals, Atwoodfest being the biggest with 3 stages.

How is music part of your community Fests/Fetes?

delcatto said...

There is music planned for the Viking fest, a ceilidh.

We have some outdoor music fests locally but not many. There is a folk and blues festival every May at Cleethorpes and I might attend next year.

Scoakat said...

I didn't remember seeing 'ceilidh' on the website so had to look it up. I do remember the drums sound like they'd be interesting.