Monday, May 22, 2023

Vacation, Plant Day, Jets, Ducks And An Ex-Stump

It's been a pretty good vacation, a nice time away from work.  I had all of last week off and tomorrow yet, before I have to return on Wednesday.  No big projects but some spring chores done and much needed relaxation.  I have one day left tomorrow, and I've been trying to keep it pretty clear so I can just relax most of the day and do whatever I feel like doing, so today I feel like writing.

Every spring I've had what I called Plant Day, the vacation day that I get a bunch of plants to pot or plant them around.  This year has been a little different; I got a couple hanging plants for out front plus the big pot out front and planted sunflower seeds for the first time, but so far haven't potted anything for the decaying stump area.  That option is still open, just not so urgent this year.  And out of 50 sunflower seeds I'm seeing 6-8 coming up so far.  I could see that critters were sniffing them out and eating them almost as quick as I could plant them, but thankfully it looks like a few survived.  More on this later, I'm sure.

I got a couple short videos the other day of some of our new F-35s coming in for a landing, they always seem to go in twos.  I don't see that they're louder when landing than the prior F-16s, maybe louder when taking off but they're up and out so quick it doesn't last long.  And from before the eggs were ransacked I got an interesting - and common - duck scene on video, too.  It was fun to follow Mother Duck as she tried to have her nest under our stairs, but it's just too exposed to end well.  While I have the destruction and heartbreak on video I won't be posting it and hope they don't try to nest here again.  Watch this instead.  :)

And while I wanted to sleep in later this morning, instead I was roused by the sound of large equipment running nearby.  Neighbor Jane's tree stump was getting removed.  Shortly after taking pictures of the bird feeder, seen here recently, there was fresh paint and flags for the utilities, plus someone came out last week and dug some test holes to verify just how deep those utilities were.  I watched through our front window as removing the stump was an interesting process to see up close, and just took a few hours.  I guess some other crew will be by to seed it and lay the hay mat over it, we'll see.

I'll put a few more pictures of the stump to terrace renovation after the break.



5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

That's a beast of a machine! They seem to have tidied up well too. Looks like the surface of your road is as bad as the surface of ours!

Any progress on the moving jobs front? Pleased you've managed some time away from the madness this last week.

Scoakat said...

There are worse roads, and we're not at all a main road so not expecting any upgrade soon.

Thanks, BW, was a real good time away. I told my wife I could treat this job like one of my first cars with no trade-in value: Put very little into the maintenance and drive it until it dies. Right now I'm fully remote, good benefits, and 4.5 weeks of paid vacation. Finding all of that somewhere else may not be possible, but this is an evolving situation.

delcatto said...

It made me laugh when you panned to your cat closely watching the ducks.

Good to have some down time and relax and that is an excellent job clearing the stump.

Scoakat said...

Yes, the porch is open to the cats most days now so they were certainly watching!

Blue Witch said...

If you can manage to view your job like that, then fine, but how many years of your life are you prepared to give to something that is unfulfilling at best and stressful at worst? I understand what you are saying about the benefits of/in your current situation, but shouldn't there be something more to the large proportion of your time that has to be devoted to working? Or have you got a secret strategy for early retirement or for doing something else entirely?