Saturday, May 13, 2023

Cloudy But Happy

 It's not the warmest or brightest day today, but it feels good outside.  I made baguette this morning so the house smells like bread, and I just mowed for the first time so the outside smells like freshly cut grass.  Well, mostly mowed, as the duck is on her nest so there is a small patch in front and below in this picture that I'll need to get later this evening when she's off to feed.  The lawn looks sharp, freshly mowed, the hostas haven't fallen yet and the lilac is blooming nicely - and more purple than I remember seeing in recent years.

We found out that late neighbor Dave's daughter and her husband will be renovating the house next door and hope to move in come fall.  The house is in pretty rough shape and they outlined some big plans, admitting it is a daunting task, but they have a contractor friend that will be doing much of the work.  No small kids and no renters, so we're happy so far and hope all goes well for them.

There's a slight chance of rain and the wind is supposed to pick up this evening, so doesn't look like I'll be having a fire this weekend, but I'm on vacation this coming week plus a couple days after that.  I don't have a ton of plans, just a list of spring chores to do and I'll make a trip down to see my Mom sometime since Mother's Day is tomorrow.  Anyway, Kate is off caring for her Dad so despite the gloom of clouds I'm going to stay happy, get out of the house and go grab a bite to eat and see what's going on in the outside world.  Have a great weekend, everyone.

Oh, I also wanted to mention the cat's little present, a bird feeder just outside the front window for their entertainment.  I'll put couple pictures after the break.


4 comments:

Scoakat said...

I wound up staying home, and that was just fine. Papa duck roused mama duck off the nest for just enough time for me to finish the lawn there. Some weeding and pruning done, and definitely too windy for a fire later.

delcatto said...

Sounds like a good day to me. Lawn and garden looking good.

Our cats live in hope as a variety of birds including two Magpies pop in for the seeds, dried grubs and bread we leave out them. Happily the birds ar3 too canny for them.

Blue Witch said...

There is nothing quite like the visual satisfaction of a freshly mown lawn.

Except if you are a cat with bird feeders to watch. Is that cat torture? )

Scoakat said...

A good week so far, small projects and rest. The bird feeder hasn't been as big a deal as I expected so far, but we haven't had the windows open but for a few times yet.