Thursday, May 4, 2023

Beef and Spring Chores

Yesterday I made the drive to pick up another quarter cow, a split half - meaning we get cuts of meat from the front and back half.  We defrosted and cleaned the freezer maybe a month ago and ordered the beef 2-3 weeks ago.  The place is outside of Mauston about 73 miles away, or about an hour and a quarter drive one way, depending on traffic.  I was hesitant to do that driving on a weekday with weekday traffic but it's light out now until 8:00 pm (and will be until sometime in August!) and I'm glad to have it done and not have to spend the time on the weekend.

This year's haul was more expensive overall but much more meat compared to last year, 108 pounds then and 143 pounds this time, so I think we got a bit of a smaller cow then as the last two before that were about 131 pounds each.  We received all the promised cuts of meat and roasts and a whopping 63 pounds of ground beef compared to 39 last year, so that accounts for 24 pounds of that difference.  And best of all, it actually cost less than last year per pound, ~$5.98 last year and down to ~$5.60 this year.  For everything; steaks, roasts, ribs, soup bones and ground.  You can't get plain ground beef for that price at the grocery store, at least not near this quality.

I know the picture is at a weird angle, I was trying to get it all in  You can't really see how much is in the bottom layer, but another layer of taller baskets and you can see the top of a shopping bag filled with tubes of 1 pound ground.  Everything here is the new beef but for one roast and a few soup bones in the hanging basket from last year.  (After the pic we replaced the other hanging basket with other foods and a few frozen pizzas.)

As usual, I stocked up on the prepared meats from their brand new store, they had a devastating fire last year shortly before we got our last one, so good to see them rebuilt bigger and better.  Anyway, some snack sticks and jerky, some bratwurst and 4 packages of the natural casing wieners that are so good.  I wish I would have grabbed more dried beef, I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks yummy.

This has been a yearly ritual for us since 2016 except for 2020, and we didn't miss that year because of the pandemic but because we got the 2019 cow in October, the last one we got through a friend of a friend.  And probably one year too long for dealing with that as we're so glad we just do it on our own now.  

*          *          *

The weather finally turned warmer today and we should be above normal in the 70's ºF (about 24 or so ºC) for highs in the foreseeable forecast.  It wasn't nice of Mother Nature to tease us like that last month with almost a week of 80ºF as it made the 40 and 50 degree days since feel much colder.  And while it should be nice it also looks like it may be a little too windy the next couple nights for a fire this weekend, but we'll wait and see.

With the good turn of the weather my to-do list lengthens.  I believe I'm going to plant sunflower seeds this weekend, we got a new TV and I'm going to attempt to hide the wires in the wall, the kitchen faucet needs repairs, windows need cleaning and I'll have to strim the edges of the lawn.  And I forgot about No Mow May, but I believe that's for normal people who have weeds.  I don't think the pollinators will be affected if I mow my grass lawn or not.  Around our yard they'll have the flower beds and gardens.

Okay now, let's fire up that grill!

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

That is a very tidy freezer!

I do not know how farmers can sell beef for that price. Buying from the farm over here is usually more expensive £ per lb than buying in the supermarkets. Farm shops are very trendy aimed at wealthy people and with prices to match.

Your comment about no mow May made me laugh.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW, a freshly cleaned out freezer in anticipation of getting more beef. A different market and system for beef there than here, sounds like. Due to 1/10th the population density in Wisconsin vs England, roughly, land area to raise and feed beef is likely a factor.

As for the lawn, if I hadn't inherited such a nice lawn I wouldn't have one now. But it was pretty much weed-free when we got the house and neighbor Dave always kept his up too so I've just continued that. Or tried to, anyway.

Blue Witch said...

Do beef animals live outside all year round? That would mean they wouldn't need to be fed expensive manufactured food, which would cut costs a lot. With the weather you have in the winter, I wouldn't imagine that is possible, but, who knows!

By coincidence I was reading about factory farming of meat in the US. Which was quite horrific and appalling for the environment. Not to mention the poor animals.

But, your supplier doesn't sound like that.

Scoakat said...

They can, BW, but still have access to indoor facilities for when it gets really cold.

Factory farms is likely where the grocery store meat comes from. I trust our source, this is taken from their website:
"Wisconsin River Meats has developed a working relationship with a group of livestock producers that raise the highest quality meats for your table. They raise their livestock on local family farms as naturally as possible, All these farms are well established and have a long record of quality livestock and ethical practices."