Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Duck Is Back

We have a duck under our back steps again, maybe the same one as 5 years ago.  We knew that a duck had been there, but there were a couple times we accidentally scared the heck out of them so thought they had moved on.  But, weren't sure so I moved the trail cam to behind the first step and under the second step facing the area.  I've used the trail cam in a few areas since unloading the SD card, it began overlooking the firepit area from the corner of the garage, then I moved it under the step here, then used it for a timelapse of a firepit last night, and after that a timelapse of a nest that was being built on top of the bat house on the garage.  The nest failed, sparrows I believe, everything blew off in the wind.

We hadn't noticed any more duck activity in several days, until today Kate noticed a female mallard land in our back yard and sure enough, she made her way under the stairs.  Just a bit ago I went out and got the trail camera, unloaded the card, then put it under the stair again.  Very carefully, of course, as to not disturb her while sitting on her nest, and also there was a male around the other side of the porch that I didn't want to rile up.  I hope it's at a good angle, but it's there now.


I hate to bring it up, and I'm not hoping it happens again, but it did not end well last time.  While reviewing the video shots of that area just now I've seen a couple different kinds of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, a rabbit, and a cat investigating the area before I saw this clip of the duck waddling in last Tuesday morning.  It's illegal for us to disturb her nest, but eventually something will and it will not be good for the ducks, unfortunately.  I don't think there's eggs yet, but it looks like there will be soon.

4 comments:

delcatto said...

Fingers crossed the eggs and mother do well.

Scoakat said...

I just peeked out the window and saw mama duck readjust herself, and it looks like we have 3 eggs today. Cross your fingers my next post isn't a duck egg snuff film.

Also worth noting, the last time this happened was 2018 when there was also a prescribed burn by the creek, same as we had this year. No duck here after the 2021 burn, though.

Blue Witch said...

How lovely. Hope they all make it. A duck will only make one egg per day, maximum, often only one every 2 days, so she's been at it a while.

Scoakat said...

Interesting, BW, but I swear there were no eggs yesterday and the nest was pretty bare, just in dirt with some of the surrounding mulch so none seemed hidden. Yesterday evening I left some dead plant matter and she used it all up in her nest now, but there is surely 3 eggs today. But, we didn't know for days that she had been back so not out of the question.

And right by where I want to plant sunflower seeds! So no planting those today, but I'm afraid the eggs may not last long so will plant soon.