Thursday, January 11, 2024

Winter Freakin' Wonderland

Well, winter finally caught up to us.  We got about 8 inches of snow on Tuesday and about 2-3 inches overnight last night.  There has been a white blanket on everything - and every branch of every tree and bush.  To many, it looks pretty as a postcard no matter where you look.  But enough is enough.

Tomorrow is due to snow all day long for a total of 8-13 more inches.  Local school districts already announced closures or virtual-only classes, just like they did on Monday afternoon.  My work goes by the Madison school district, so we will have our second snow day this week tomorrow.  It's nice to at least have the time off to deal with all that snow and not worry about driving anywhere (even the state police are saying to stay off the roads tomorrow), but we either have to use a vacation day or take it unpaid.  As I'm starting over in a new job I don't have much vacation time so I'm taking these days unpaid.

Then, to top it all off, on Sunday we begin a stretch of very cold temperatures with highs Sunday and Monday right around 0ºF (about -18ºC) and staying in the single digits for at least a week.  

Sure, we've seen these kinds of snows and temperatures before, but that doesn't make it any easier.  I'll try to post another pic on Saturday.  My guess is the fire pit and outlines of anything else in the back yard will be pretty much totally obscured.  I should have brought in the gnome and solar lights last weekend.  Oh well...

For Tuesday's snow day I made homemade cinnamon rolls.

Not sure yet if I'll bake anything tomorrow or this weekend.



3 comments:

delcatto said...

Those cinnamon rolls look delicious.

I follow this weather site on my phone and the updates for North America are astonishing.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/

Keep warm and safe as those temperatures are astonishing.

Blue Witch said...

I suspect the snow will be here in a few days...

Since moving North, I've gone off snow, so am not envious of yours any more! It's nice for the first few hours, but after that, just a pain.

I was just reading elsewhere about cinnamon rolls and wondered what they look like, so now I know. Look delicious, good job I can't eat them.

Hope you can get back to wrok soon. Having to take days without pay due to no fault of your own is not good.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, but I forgot to add cream cheese to the frosting. They were extremely sweet anyway.

I read your link, delcatto. Pretty spot on.

Some non-paid time is of no worry to us financially, thankfully. And today, preferable to going to work or using up precious vacation days.