Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Snow Removal Time Lapse

I've been pretty frustrated with the trail camera recently, it seems to pick up only what is immediately in front of it and not all the time.  The critters eating the pumpkin worked out well, but several others I tried haven't.  I watched a couple videos on the subject so will have to keep in mind some hints, like not having something closer in the frame than where I want it to look, and I was reminded this trail camera has a time lapse option that I've never used.

I didn't consider using it for the snowfall the other day since we were only expecting a few inches and it started about 3 in the morning, but I did think about it when it came time to clearing that snow.  I didn't post the video earlier because I couldn't figure out how to blur the license plate when I pulled my wife's van into the driveway, but last night I sat down and edited the video to cut off before you can see it, slowed it down a bit, and added some free music in the background.  I know I made a similar video before, but it wasn't quite this much snow - at all.

I placed the trail camera on its little tripod on top of my car in the garage, sorry it's at an angle.  I also just brought it outside so don't believe the temperature - but do see it go down quickly as it acclimates.

You can see I wasn't trying to get it perfect, since I was expecting to have to do it again later.  And when I disappear out front I'm shoveling the walk to the front door, then knocking the snow off the heavily weighed-down arborvitae and clearing the snow off the van which was parked right in front of the house.  It would have been in the driveway to begin with if we knew we were getting this much, but it wasn't so I wanted to get it in the driveway before a snow plow came by.  It took several attempts of forward and reverse to get it back far enough (slightly uphill and through all that snow) to turn into the driveway, but I did it.

About 80% of it is melted already but we are expecting some more overnight as we sleep.  Not sure how much, but it will melt soon from the temperatures and the rain coming in the days ahead.  Out like a lamb, hopefully.

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Brilliant, love it!

I need one of those snow ploughs. They don't sell them over here (AFAIK). Yet. But give climate change a few more years.

Hope spring comes soon for you.

delcatto said...

Phew! A lot of snow this late in the winter? / early Spring. Hopefully it will melt soon and warmer sunnier weather arrive. Just rain here, lots of it yesterday!

Scoakat said...

No snow last night, seems it would have but the air was dry enough that it never hit the ground. Friday could bring spring thunderstorms with snow on the back end Saturday morning! So not exactly out like a lamb, I guess.

Nic said...

Love a good timelapse. Nice one.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Nic!