Sunday, March 19, 2023

Badgers And Harmony

The Badgers men's basketball team is still playing, even if it is just the NIT, and they played today at 11 a.m.  Today is sunny and finally supposed to get above freezing again after another temperature plunge, so I thought I'd get out of the house and go watch the game at The Harmony Bar and Grill, that I've mentioned here in the past.  A good neighborhood bar, and not too busy during the daytimes, usually.


It was cold when I set out, 25ºF/-4ºC, and I wasn't even actually positive I was going to walk at first, but I didn't do the treadmill yesterday and I felt this was a good alternative today.  A brisk walk, with what breeze there was coming straight down the bike path at me, but in less than 20 minutes I was there.  It was early yet, they open at 11 and the game started immediately at 11.  There were no other customers until at least quarter past noon, and I wasn't even a paying customer until just after 12 when I got food and drink.  The Badgers were up a couple points at halftime by that point, but it was a back and forth game.

I took advantage of no other patrons and got about a 240º or so panorama of the place.  I was first here about 30 years ago, but more often in the last half of that since we've lived nearby.  I won't say his name here, but I don't think the bartender will mind me posting him in this picture.  It continued to be a close game until the end when the Badgers held on to a slim lead to win and extend their season by at least one more game.

On the walk back it was a bit warmer, 35ºF/2ºC, and there were lots of people out and about, on and off the bike path.  Still cold, but we're used to it and I'm sure most have spring fever like me.  Still too early for any activity in the community gardens, which were covered in several inches of snow just a week ago and some dustings since.  The seeds I saved from some type of tall wildflower around here last fall went moldy, so I bought some sunflower seeds I plan on growing this year for the first time and hope to document here.


The rest of this Sunday looks to be a lazy day, relaxing and catching up on reading, videos, or whatever.  I hope you're having a nice weekend, too.

For Delcatto, see comments.



4 comments:

delcatto said...

I was trying to work out which beers are on tap but can’t see them. Good incentive for a walk!

Scoakat said...

Yes, a good destination walk, but not good to do daily!

I'll put a clearer picture after the break, it's hard to get a good panorama. They don't have the tap list on their website. They are also listed, somewhat in shorthand, on the chalkboard painted wall in the background.

Blue Witch said...

Are bars in the US closing due to the economic climate?

Our pubs and bars are really suffering and struggling. In many villages, pubs are only surviving by the community buying them and running them when they are sold by the breweries (who, historically, own many of them and putin tenants to run them).

Scoakat said...

No, I've not heard of any bars closing. This is Wisconsin, BW, we like to drink a lot. ;)

The big issue here right now is finding help, especially restaurants. Closures happen because they can't find anyone to hire. One of our favorite places, Burrito Drive, closes their doors for good tomorrow for that very reason. We had them for dinner one last time on Thursday night and it was delicious.