Saturday, March 5, 2022

And Another Thing!

March.  A bit of Spring, a bit of Winter, and a whole lot of dirty snow piles, bare trees and filthy, dormant grass.  We've had melting and freezing, puddles and ice sheets.  Temperatures have been teasingly warm then plunge below freezing again.  We've only had about half the snow we normally get, but it's not over yet.  Today's high is 60ºF (16ºC) - highest of the year so far - while a week from today only 29ºF (-2ºC) expected.  Today is also rainy with thunderstorms expected tonight and there is snow possible next weekend.  March is a necessary evil, but at least we know we're going in the right direction.

The last few weeks have been extra stressful for me.  Work has been very busy and I have so many extra projects on my plate and keep hitting obstacles in trying to accomplish anything.  Home has been difficult recently but hoping to get that moving in the right direction again just like the weather will be.  I was going to write about work in more detail last weekend, but it would have just sounded like complaining as I really can't give details.  Suffice it to say that I took this whole upcoming week off on rather short notice, and they let me.  I had to have off in the middle of the week for a medical procedure and my wife convinced me to just ask for the whole week off.  A very good idea as I had time to use up and will get all my time back at the end of the month.  And it will be very nice to have the time away from work, hopefully get myself a bit more centered again.

Tomorrow I go in for only my second Covid test ever, the first was when I was admitted to the hospital in November.  That may seem strange to some, but I've been mostly holed up at home since I had Covid in early 2020, when you could only get tested if you went to the hospital (that was bursting with Covid at the time).  The numbers have gone down far enough that our local mask mandate expired at the end of last month, though still required at medical facilities and some government buildings while private businesses can decide for themselves.  Fitting to happen while Spring is arriving, but will still feel a bit strange when I do get out.  It's been so long now, and I've spent the last two years on the over side of cautious.  Anyway, I have to have the Covid test a few days prior to going in for a colonoscopy, ahead of schedule do to my recent diverticulitis.  Good times.  At least it was the impetus for a whole week off.

I've been watching while the whole world reacts to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and I like what I'm seeing.  Not just governments and their sanctions, but private businesses shunning Russia in many ways.  I don't like the unnecessary suffering because of this, both Ukrainian and Russian civilians, and I think this may end up being the downfall of Putin.  We can only hope.  It would be nice to see Putin and Trump share a prison cell.  Sounds like a late-night television sitcom, doesn't it?

Enough for now.  I'm seeing some sun peek out so hopefully there is a chance for a good walk sometime today between showers.  Have a good weekend, everyone.

6 comments:

delcatto said...

That picture made me chuckle. It sounds like the last of winter refusing to let go and over here it has been so mild but very wet.

Hopefully that procedure will provide some answers or even better, provide an all clear and glad to hear you will have some time off to recover and that progress all round is being made. I can empathise with the work sit is very busy currently and we lose another member of the team this week.. Never mind, head up and looking forward to spring as the daffodils are starting to make an appearance. Good luck for the colonoscopy.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, delcatto. I saw the first flowers coming up today. I can't remember what they are yet, only half inch up or so.

Blue Witch said...

Interesting the angle you are getting from your media. Perhaps because Ukraine is so much nearer to us in Europe, the picture being painted here is almost "You're next!" rather than "Putin is about to fall."

It's been very windy here almost all winter. Only 2 days with any snow and nothing that laid. Crocuses and the first of the narcissi out.

Hope all goes well with all the medical stuff and you get some answers at last.

Scoakat said...

Yes, Ukraine is very much closer to you, half a world away to us. And a simplified opinion, admittedly.

We got several inches of snow again the other day. Still to early to think about spring chores here.

And thank you, I have to start the prep here soon. I can't wait until I can eat again tomorrow afternoon!

Blue Witch said...

Hope all has gone well, and that you are recovering.

Scoakat said...

I'm doing well, thanks for thinking of me. Still waiting on some results, but I think I'll be okay.