Monday, July 15, 2024

Flowers, Fasting and Floods

The second half of the last post left a bad taste in my mouth.  This blog is not about politics, though I've made it pretty clear where I stand, and I really don't want to discuss much further.  So, to push last post down the page a bit here's the stump area flowerbed this morning.

I'm off work today and tomorrow, good to have but I will need more very soon.  When I woke up at my Mom's on Sunday morning I knew immediately I was having another diverticulitis flare-up, too.  A mild one, but I still have to (mostly) stop eating until it passes.  Also not a good way to spend time off work, but this too shall pass.

I mentioned our rain when replying to delcatto's comment a few posts back.  Sounds like a very wet year across the pond, as well, though cooler temperatures than the heat we've gotten on and off.  Our waterways are high and the ground is saturated.  We get as many flood watches in the region as we do thunderstorm watches, anymore.  The rugs have been up in the basement and the dehumidifier running for several weeks now, by far more water down there this year than any other I can recall.  Might be time to buy a life raft.

Yesterday's storm created a lake in the fire pit area and to the left of the stump area, out of picture.

Then I noticed the neighbor's back yard almost completely flooded.  They removed the old shed recently and installed this new one earlier yesterday.  Yes, it is elevated a bit.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

The stump bed is growing well, and what a fine fence!

Wet here and 6 degrees below normal. Although May was 6 degrees above normal.

Isn't it Mr Trump who doesn't believe in climate change? Ooops, sorry, not meant to mention him are we ;)

Hope you'll feel better soon.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. After last nights bit of rain (all the severe stuff missed us just to the south) our temps are to moderate and virtually no chance of rain in the next week - for a change!

We can mention him, I just don't want to dwell on it. Basically, as it was before. My statement the other day was a little extreme and I want to refrain from spouting off about him, which I may find difficult in the months to come.

And yes, feeling better, thank you!

delcatto said...

Hopefully you are recovering from the flare up.

We have had a few days of hot and humid weather but cooler today and rain is expected. I finally have two small green tomatoes on the one surviving plant. What an odd summer.

Scoakat said...

Feeling fit now, thank you. Yes, if it kept raining here it wouldn't take much to look like our floods of 2018.

Pepper plants and garlic doing well here, as usual. Anything else is a bonus to us. I'll have to give a sunflower update soon.