Thursday, July 11, 2024

Flatbread, Flowers And Hamish

We had gyros some time ago from a delivery restaurant.  I got the regular gyro meat and my wife hasn't cared for their chicken version so tried the veggie, which is just more of the gyro veggies in a pita.  Unsatisfied, she recently wanted to try to make homemade ground beef gyros (since we still have lots to use before we can order another side of beef) with a Greek seasoning.  She found a recipe and it turned out really better than expected.  That seasoning also seemed to work as a binder so the patties were able to be cut similar to regular gyro meat and made for a rather good meal. And we love tzatziki sauce!  The only downside was the store-bought pita bread, of which only one choice is ever available at the local grocery store, as it is way too dry and bland.

So, for the leftovers I tried a flat bread recipe that I had saved but not yet made.  In fact, I hadn't tried to make any kind of flatbread previously, but I found this so quick and simple, and yet so good.  Like my homemade baguette, pizza dough and cheese pennies, flatbread will now surely be a regular homemade food in this house, though I may experiment with other recipes/techniques, too.

Otherwise, I've just been so tired this week.  I don't want to discuss my job here, but I've been doing it now for over 8 months without taking any time off for myself, only a few sick days when I've been unable to work.  I have a couple days off soon here which will hopefully recharge me until my week off in September.  After that I'll have to see what little time off I have left for the rest of the year and plan accordingly.  That's all I want to say about that for now, since I'm in a rather crispy state of mind at the moment.

Anyway, the tiger lilies by the porch are mostly waning, but for each end which are a different type and will continue flowering for a bit.  The tree stump area is doing pretty well with some of the wildflowers on the old stump starting to do what they do.  The day lilies are big and strong and many smaller plants are maintaining, at the least.  The newly planted bushes seem to be doing okay but not really taking off yet, but hopefully by next year.

The two sunflowers by the back corner of the garage are still doing their thing and growing tall.  About a week ago the remaining stalks of the peony next to it were bitten off by a critter, which is unusual for peony but wouldn't be for the sunflowers next to it at that stage so thankfully keeping that cage has kept them going.  That peony may not even come back next year as the lily of the valley has mostly strangled its roots, it seems.

And lastly for today, I've not posted any cat pictures in a while and I really ought to more.  After the break is Hamish, tonight, waiting on the back of the chair for me to come into the computer room and type this.


 (And in front of the first official Kiss poster, made almost 50 years ago!)



I love Basil lots too, but Hamish is my little buddy.  :)

6 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I had to look up gyros as we don't call it that. That flatbread recipe has turned out brilliantly, well done! I wish I could find a wheat-free flatbread recipe that works - I think the lack of gluten makes a huge difference.

Your gardens look very tidy and organised. We've had so much unseasonal rain that everything is twice as tall as normal and quickly gets to look untidy and overgrown. Keeping creatures and weeds under control is a full-time job.

Crispy state of mind - yes, I know that feeling only too well, you have my sympathies. Hope some days off will make you feel revived. The type of work you are now doing is physically and emotionally draining: which I don't think is at all understood/appreciated by people who haven't worked in that field.

Hamish looks like he'd love to get out a tohase mice and rabbits... ;)

Scoakat said...

What do you call them? Thank you, not bad for a first try. They do have gluten-free flour, but I have no experience with it. I don't have a need so I may never try, sorry.

And thank you again, I do like the tidy look. We're several inches of rain above average so far this year, too. Last year at this time we were in drought.

I'm finally off for 4 days now. Tomorrow I plan on visiting my Mom and getting some things done there, then coming back Sunday to begin resting in earnest. Every day is different, but yes, it can be as you say, and can be cumulative, it seems.

If we had as much space as you then the cats would get outdoors. As is, they are still very happy!

Blue Witch said...

Doner kebab is the nearest, but I think that is processed/remoulded MRM (mechanically recovered meat - ie scraped off bones, or removed with chemicals) rather than ground whole meat.

Hope you manage to get a proper rest in your time off. It's so easy for necessary jobs and errands to intrude on the best of intentions, isn't it?

In my next life I am planning to be a cat in your house :)

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW. I woke up at Mom's this morning feeling a flare-up. Home early and today, which is exceptionally hot outside, being spent indoors relaxing, watching the Brewers and catching up on the internet after a nap early this afternoon. I hope this passes quickly.

delcatto said...

Gyros is what we call Done kebab as BW said although Doner is the Turkish word for it but also similar to Arab Shwarma. I am partial to a Doner kebab despite knowing it is the cheaper and usually rubbish offering in restaurants. I like middle eastern and north African food generally. Those flat breads look delicious and when warm, eat them with some humous . Very tasty.

I can certainly understand that crispy feeling, the emotional stress is cumulative and I would recommend time set aside for yourself, meditate / yoga and walking / cycling in nature if you can to burn that off. Sadly, I miss walking as I can't go too far currently.

Hamish looks a handsome lad.

Scoakat said...

Gyros are Greek and I never considered Greece as part of the Middle East, but looking at a map it is right there.

Thank you, delcatto. The most surprising thing about this flatbread is how easy it is, but the recipe is really just a guide. I'm finding much more flour is needed than it calls for. I like the simplicity and end product so I will experiment and rewrite it for myself as I go - in grams, not cups.

Thanks, I really need more time than just these two days, and this diverticulitis flare-up certainly doesn't help. Way too hot for walking or anything outside. And we are water-logged, just saturated. There was standing water in the back yard for a time yesterday and I've lost count how many times water has gotten in the basement this year.