Saturday, February 10, 2024

February This-And-Thats

I've been feeling much better this week but for continuing sniffles, since being sick the prior two weeks.  It's just been going around as I've heard of several others being sick.  It's no fun, especially since I was barely sick for several years due to changes that came with the pandemic, like masks and working from home.  I'm around so much more people now than I have been in a long time.

New neighbors, late neighbor Dave's daughter and son-in-law, are still not moved in.  The house was supposed to be done December 15, they told me, and they had to be out of where they lived January 31, so not sure where they're living now.  At least they are getting $100 off the bill for every day past December 15, but I'm sure they'd rather it just get finished.  In the early days late in summer and fall there was work being done maybe one day a week. Now, for the last several weeks there's work being done weekdays, weekends, holidays, and sometimes late into the night.  Further exterior work will have to wait, they said, whether for weather or financial reasons I'm not sure.  We've been thinking of putting a fence on that side like our back fence, and they may want to remove theirs before then if they want the metal posts covered with wood on their side of it, like the fence in the back.  We'll talk to them again sometime after they finally move in, I'm sure.

The weather has been mild, kind of like March at the end of January/beginning of February and continuing.  Early last week we again had morning fog on several days, including freezing fog in areas.  Was like nothing I'd ever seen.  Driving through one of the little squalls is a almost a whiteout of tiny snowflakes, with everything getting frosted in white with them.  Otherwise, the snow has been melting so just a small mound here and there where it was deepest.  And we had thunderstorms the other night, including a few tornadoes just south of here - the first February tornadoes in Wisconsin in recorded history.  It feels like spring though the calendar says otherwise.  I guess we'll find out if February will start acting like winter again or not.  And anything could always happen in March.

I came across a website that provides (for free) background noises, and you can customize and combine to make one to your liking.  Noises Online is under those blue words, if interested.

The last time I made baguette I used bread flour instead of AP and proofed them in the couche.  I seemed to get bigger bubbles in the crumb but proofing them in a floured cloth makes the skin less flexible to expand when baking, thus they tend to split on me, so far.  But I like mixing it up and trying new techniques.  In fact, I'm even starting to reconsider getting a sourdough culture that I'll have to feed and keep alive in the fridge.  Ugh!  Anyway, they always are good bread no matter and I look forward to my next stab at it, probably next weekend.

Tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday.  I do plan on watching the game, but only to try and catch a glimpse of Taylor Swift!  Just kidding.  I don't really care who wins, but I do like to see Patrick Mahomes whine so I may root for the 49ers.  Mostly, I just hope it's a good game - and that my number$ hit!

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Weather is bizarre over here too.

Enjoy Superbowl Sunday! I heard a crazy statistic about it the other day and thought that I must ask you your opinion on it, but now I've forgotten what it was and indeed where I heard it. Old age...

These bugs are hugely concerning. People over here seem even less worried about germs around other people than they were before the pandemic. Is it the same where you are?

Blue Witch said...

And... I'm amazed that builders will take on contracts with $100 a day penalties. Perhaps builders aren't as scarce in the US as they are over here?

delcatto said...

Springlike today here with birds singing and it is mild. Media full of warnings about another wintry deep freeze spell but we’ll see.

I watched 10 minutes of Super Bowl pundits talking but I opted for bed instead. I’d watched some of the Africa Cup of Nations final so I’d had my fill of sports for the day.

Builders paying each day over the contracted time! We need that here.

Scoakat said...

I stayed up and watched the whole game, so a bit tired today. And I didn't win anything.

We certainly don't seem to be short on builders here, lots of projects happening all over. Judging from the workers that have been here recently, I'd say they're still a few weeks away from moving in. The contractor is a friend of theirs, they told me. We'll see if the friendship survives, LOL!

Scoakat said...

Sorry, BW, I seem to have skipped over your first question. For the most part, people over here are acting as they did before the pandemic though still not unusual to see some wearing masks at any given place or time. And doing what I do for work now, masks and even gloves I find pretty helpful often. So no, I don't think people are less concerned than before the pandemic, but surely not as worried about things as they had been.