Monday, February 19, 2024

February T-A-T Follow-Ups

It appears our new neighbors moved in late last week, ready or not.  There's still workers over there every day and as I write now, but not yesterday so I'm thinking they just wanted one quiet day to settle in a bit - but who knows?  I reckon that's about 6 grand off their total bill for the renovation, but I won't ask them details (though I'm curious!).

My wife fell ill on Sunday and still doesn't feel good today.  I hope she feels better a lot quicker than it took for me.  And even my two weeks followed by lingering sniffles seems to pale to what they have across the pond - Get well soon BW, Delcatto and Sue!

Weather has been colder, at and below freezing, but we saw the forecast and now it will become warmer again, and very much like spring again.  But there's still time for winter to return.

I made crostini last night from one of the baguettes I made two weeks ago, pictured in the last post.  Those were made from bread flour, and I finally saw the bigger bubbles in the crumb that I've been lacking with this recipe.  I might try an all-purpose/bread flour 50/50 split next time and see if I get close to this.  Baking baguette has become an ever-evolving experiment for me by now, and very enjoyable.  

I baked both the new and old baguette recipes again on Friday night and Saturday morning, respectively.  I forgot the diastatic malt powder when I made the new recipe and while still good bread you do notice what that DMP does for the taste and crustiness.  No issues with major splitting this time, though a little deflation in the transfer process.  I'm warming to the couche but ordered a new one as the light cloth towel I'm using now still sticks a bit after proofing no matter how much I've tried to embed the flour.  Also a transfer peel since I don't have a good equivalent, so that's two more new baking related gadgets for me coming soon.

And I won absolutely nothing on the Super Bowl this year.  Easy come, easy go.

Above is last week's baguette, and I'll put the new and old after the break in that order.








3 comments:

Blue Witch said...

You'll be running courses on baguette making before long! They do look very professional.

Thanks for the get well wishes - hope your wife is soon on the mend.

Are you enjoying the change in perspective offered by your new job?

delcatto said...

Those baguettes do look very good. I should start baking bread again, hopefully I'll regain my enthusiasm as spring returns.

Thank you for the get well wishes, much needed! All the best to your wife and she gets well soon.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, we do enjoy the bread very much. Even my wife hints at selling them but the scale of things to be able to produce more makes my head swim!

My wife is feeling a bit better this afternoon. But she never seems to get as sick as I do, lucky her. Continued well-wishes to you both.

I've been at the new job now for a few months and while I'm getting better it's just such a big change. We never had kids, which would have helped here, so I have to learn to keep my head on a swivel more and remember that even though all are adults and some are seemingly high-functioning you just can't trust them!