Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Weather, Baking and Work

Today's weather report is seasonable temperatures and mostly cloudy, still long pants and jacket weather.  On Sunday we had very light snow flurries at times, still.  But the plants know what time of year it is and are coming in well.  I've even seen signs of mowing around town the last couple days.  Our lawn is getting green but always begins getting longest around the edges, so I will be strimming before mowing, but not until the weekend, maybe.

I've been baking baguette lots, even took some down to my Mom the other day along with some jam swirl bread that I made with orange marmalade this time.  I'll be making more baguette this weekend, almost a weekly thing now, but I ordered some diastatic malt powder to try adding this time.  It's supposed to help the rise, crust and flavor.  If you've baked with it let me know what you thought!  I'm hoping to keep improving and I hope this helps.

Here are our red tulips, flowering amidst tiger lilies in front and alium in back, both coming in nicely.  I took yesterday and today off to get away from work.  Things have not been going well and I have been looking at other jobs.  I just hate to have to start over somewhere else but I can't see staying where I am, either.  Not sure what will happen, only time will tell.

Have a good week, everyone.

3 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I think that diastatic malt powder has been invented since my breadmaking days. I just looked it up and it sounds interesting though.

Your work situation sounds awful, and I guess that changing job is harder in the US as you have to make sure that any potential new employer offers good medical insurance.

Now that you have got to thinking about leaving, it's time to do it, however challenging the thought may be. I'm sure that a year after you have done it you will wonder why it took you so long to get out of such a miserable toxic situation.

Life is too short... I've started thinking about things like this as, "If I knew I had a year to live, would I still be doing this now?" if no, then don't, because, short of having a terminal illness, none of us know how long we have left.

delcatto said...

I just had to google Diastatic Malt Powder as it is also new to me.

That sounds dreadful at work, not a good place to be in and as BW says you have to ensure good medical insurance is offered by any new employer. Hopefully you find the right employer quickly, good luck!

Scoakat said...

Thank you. Good advice, and good food for thought. There are many factors here. Stay tuned, I guess.