Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Garden Trail Camera Video

I brought in the trail camera from the garden area to see what it may have captured, and it did capture a few interesting shots.  I changed the setting to just video hoping it would trigger better and it seemed to work.  So here's a few shots from the past week or so of critters small and big and other minor activity.

The squirrel at the beginning is just being very still, it seems the camera must make some small sound when activated as I've seen all animals notice before.  It didn't capture any of the snow the other day and the sun angle gives it a funky hue in the afternoons.  I didn't take any pictures of the firepit last Friday night, but the trail camera did.  The large flames are when I throw the black walnut leaf twigs on the fire, the same stuff I was raking up earlier in the video.  And it ends with an unknown cat on the prowl in the back yard early this morning.  I don't really like the background music, it seems to jump a bit for some reason between clips. But I'm no editor and don't want to spend any more time so it is what it is.

Now, where to place the trail camera next?

9 comments:

delcatto said...

Good to see you are able to get out in the garden and the fire-it was going strong.

Inevitably a cat wanders in, that's about all I would capture in our garden apart from pigeons.

Blue Witch said...

The quality on that trail cam looks good. Would you buy the same sort again, or go for something different?

Scoakat said...

If I had to do it again I'd spend a bit more and hope for better. For my use, however, this will do.

Blue Witch said...

Please could you remind me again which camera you have? Our newly-planted front garden is being munched regularly and we need to find out what is doing it!

Scoakat said...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F2KFVGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got, but again, I'd probably spend a little more and hope for a little better if I had to do it again.

I had it overlooking the open area of the back yard for a couple days but when we got home this afternoon we spooked some ducks getting comfortable under the back stairs again, so I moved it under there to see if I can get some duck videos.

Blue Witch said...

Thanks... they sell that one in the UK too (and the same price in pounds as your dollar price).

Given that I've seen your footage, which looks good to me, I might stick with that one as it is half the price of many, and I have no idea what I'd be looking for if I bought anything else. Unless you have any pointers for what might be a better purchase, having used your one?

We did buy one a few years ago, but it was so dreadful (really hard to use and impossible to download and edit footage with the supplied software) we returned it for a refund. Technology has moved on since then.

Interestingly, the UK version has more review stars than the US.

Blue Witch said...

I've found one that has no-glow night vision, remembering what you said about the red lights startling the animals (and looking at out house CCTV which glows red at night). It also has 120 degree vision, rather than 90 degree. Any thoughts on this:

GardePro A3S Wildlife Camera (2022), 32MP 1296p, Trail Camera with H.264 Video, Next-Gen Imaging Technology, 100ft No Glow Night Vision, 0.1s Trigger Speed Motion Activated.

Blue Witch said...

No, scrub that, I've read the one star reviews now! Lots of problems. The search continues...

Scoakat said...

My biggest complaint is it not capturing something I believe should be there, including me right in front of it. So not trigger speed or anything like that, just how it gets triggered, basically.

But I've mentioned tips I looked up like not having something in the frame close than where you want it to look. And changing the setting to just take short 10 second videos instead of pictures and video seems to have helped.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you capture! I don't believe the ducks have been back so mine is now pointing at an empty area under the back stairs.