Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Spring Weather, Prescribed Burn

The weather is absolutely beautiful, sunny and clear with temperatures in the upper 70's (about 25ºC).  All week looks like we'll be nice until more seasonable again this weekend with temps in the 50's and rain.  But for today, the windows are open and I'm finally in bare feet, shorts and a tee shirt again!  If you want a reminder, just over two weeks ago we had this.

I was able to call in to a meeting during work today so I could walk about the neighborhood for a while, and I discovered that they were in the process of burning off the dead brush along the creek.  I couldn't stick around and watch it all, but I did get a few pictures of the process.   We couldn't even smell it from here, as close as we are, as the wind was blowing the other way, but it is now all blackened and ready for the new crop of wildflowers and other plants to grow.


I'm eager to plant sunflowers, but must wait still until the threat of frost is finally passed, so depending on the weather that may be late this month or sometime in May yet.  But I have plenty of seeds so if I plant early and lose some I can still plant more.  

For now, I'll take these nice spring days when we get them, but I'm so looking forward to more.

7 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Damp and windy here... send it over!

Can you start the sunflowers off inside on a windowsill, in pots?

Scoakat said...

Warm and windy here now, about 27ºC and sunny. I got a few things done in the yard and garage, even worked up a sweat! Alas, we'll be much cooler next week (about 8-15ºC).

Some sources say you can start them in a pot, but most recommend not to due to the taproot.

Nic said...

FWIW, we start most of our sunflowers in root trainers and then plant out once danger of frost has passed. The root trainer is just a cell slightly deeper (3-4"?) than a standard one to allow for plants that have a tap root.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Nic, I'll keep that in mind. Of course, I should have thought of asking you! LOL

Right now I think I'm leaning toward waiting until I'm fairly confident it won't freeze to plant, and if it does then I have more seeds that I can still plant. Mother's Day is generally the date everyone looks to here to plant by (May 14 here, is it the same there?), still very early in our season.

delcatto said...

Wet and windy here. Temperatures are cool but ok, it’s just the unpredictable heavy showers stopping any gardening.

Scoakat said...

Sounds like what we have coming back this weekend, delcatto. Even a chance for a snow/rain mix on Saturday! Inconsistent, but normal spring for us.

Nic said...

Our Mother's Day was back in March....I used to know why it was a different day to your yours but it seems to have gone from my memory!
Mid-may is the sort of date we think its almost certainly safe for frost too though....we risk it with some things earlier but only where we have spares!