Thursday, February 2, 2023

My Breadmaking Beginnings

So much for moderation, I've been baking some kind of bread every weekend recently.  We had the last baguette out of the freezer with dinner last night and, being a bit more removed from making them, they actually are really good so I will be making them again next.  Baguette is the bread we normally bought more than any other bread.  This will be the first good bread I'll be making for a second time.

I started my breadmaking late last fall with a couple different, simple no-knead recipes.  Quick and easy seemed a good way to start.  This is the first recipe I tried, Peasant bread, but if I do it again I think I'll try this version from King Arthur Baking Company, where I got all the rest of my bread recipes ever since.  The second recipe  I made was also a no-knead, but crusty and baked in a Dutch oven.  Better than the first, but still kind of a gummy texture.  Not sure why, but I have no pictures of these.

Plain White Sandwich Bread
The next recipe I tried was called 'the easiest loaf of bread you'll ever make,' so, of course, I tried it.  It was good, but I wanted better.  It's the first picture on this post from earlier this month.  After that my sweet tooth got the better of me and I tried another no-knead, a brioche swirled with jam.  The second picture from that same post.  The sweetness and swirl of jam covered up any gumminess of the no-knead bread and this loaf did not last long.

After that, I veered away from regular bread again and made cornbread muffins.  We had all the ingredients and they turned out very good.  Again, no pictures taken, but they're just corn muffins.

Next recipe was for baguette, and turned out to be the best thing I'd made so far, and probably since.  You can read more about what I wrote about that here.  Having done it once now, I'm hoping to improve on that first attempt this weekend with both technique and having a proper pan for the boiling water.

Cheesy No Knead Burger Buns
So, let's see, that's up to 6 different breads I'd made so far.  And I'm not counting the pizza crust my wife and I made together.  I'll be trying different pizza crust recipes in the future, but that's a different category.  On with the breads.

Having enjoyed the baguette so much, my wife asked that I make a sandwich bread.  We had sandwich ingredients but didn't have any sandwich bread at the time, so basically I was asked to either make one or buy one.  Well, I had all-purpose and bread flour, and there's not as many recipes out there for white bread as there is for wheat bread, and many of them called for dry milk so my choices were limited.  I wound up trying this recipe and it was okay, maybe a bit more dense than I'd like, but good.  Picture number one on this post for the 7th made bread.  I want to try a different sandwich bread recipe next time but haven't found it yet.  I may end up buying wheat flour, and that would be good, too.

That same weekend I made a no-knead cheesy burger bun recipe that had caught my eye.  The recipe offered a choice of cheeses, powder or finely shredded, and I went with finely shredded parmesan.  Picture number 2 here, of the number 8 bread.  These were good buns and you couldn't really tell they were no-knead, but a lot of flavor.  They really rose more then I expected, too, up and over the bun pan to look like muffins.  We had them with my homemade smash burgers and it was a lot of flavors competing with each other, so while I know I will make buns again I will be trying a different recipe.

Pan de Cristal (Glass Bread)
Then another bread caught my attention that I wanted to try, Pan de Cristal, or glass bread.  It looked like a nice outer crust but had very large air bubbles inside that I found very interesting.  And the recipe was a bit of a surprise, it's a 100% hydration bread, 500g water to 500g bread flour.  I read up on it and watched the videos, but actually found it easy to make and, again, was surprised at how much it rose for me compared to the recipe pictures and video.  Too well done and it wasn't in the oven as long as it was called for, but I've ordered an oven thermometer to check that and will go more by what I see than what the recipes say in the future.  But this is a good, novel snack bread, maybe good as part of a charcuterie board or something but not for everyday.  Bread 9, last picture here.

And that'll be the last of counting them, I think.  I also think I'm kind of good at this breadmaking thing, so far anyway.  Eventually I expect I may tire of trying so many different things just for the sake of it, but I also expect I'll be making the good ones consistently.  

Bonus double smash burger pic after the break!

5 comments:

delcatto said...

Oooh! That double smash burger looks really tasty.

Liking the bread and it's time I dusted off the bread maker.

Blue Witch said...

Sounds like a great new hobby!

Your results look impressive.

If a recipe requires dried milk, you can always sub liquid milk for the dried milk and water.

Sorry for all the 'handy hints', can't help myself, I used to make a lot of bread as I once (in my early 20s) nearly married a miller. Or at least a miller's son, complete with old-fashioned watermill that he would one day inherit. We experimented with different blends of wheats to get really good flours (unheard of commercially in those days, and we were one of only 2 UK mills who imported Canadian wheat for milling). I used to do a lot of demos of breadmaking at agricultural shows (they also made farm animal feed) and for local groups. Sadly these days my breadmaking is limited as I can't eat wheat any more. And yes, I do miss it!

Scoakat said...

Thank you, and I'll listen to any hints you have! We used to have a small bread maker many years ago. We got over the novelty of it along with cleaning the machine pretty quickly, but I'm sure there's better ones out there. Not being able to have wheat would certainly put a damper on breadmaking.

This baker is very part time, so I decided we'll try buying the frozen loaves of bread dough for regular sandwich bread. Then I can make baguette and buns when needed and other special breads as I please.

I have baguette in the final rise before baking right now. I think I shaped them better the first time, but like the King Arthur guy said, it takes practice. And we like baguette enough I hope to get real good at it.

Nic said...

Excellent! Not heard of Glass Bread before but looks like a white sour sough loaf with the large gas pockets.

FWIW I've been making my own wholemeal sour dough bread for three or four years now, initially for dietary reasons but now no other bread tastes as good. I think this is pretty common once you get start making your own bread of any sort!

Enjoy!

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Nic. I love sourdough breads but am so far unwilling to try to maintain a starter. I did try a yeast with sourdough culture the first time I made baguette (and on one of the easy no-kneads later), but it wasn't very noticeable so I just used regular yeast today.

The Pan de Cristal was pretty good, but next time will be for a party snack and I'll halve the recipe, I think. It really rose, was supposed to make four 5x7" loaves but they were almost twice that. Also, baked on a stone and very short shelf life. But fun to make!