Tuesday, January 10, 2023

January This-And-Thats

Okay, it's high time I finally break the 2023 seal here on the blog.  Busy, didn't feel like it, not much to say, pick what you want, all are true to some extent.  Winter hit us hard and early this season, so there is that, too.  What matters is I'm here, now, writing.  So let's see if I have anything to say, shall we?

  • Covid sucked, and right before Christmas.  It was a really miserable time, but my wife reminded me of how bad it could be and actually was for me the first time around back in 2020.  I seemed to have forgotten, or blocked it out.  So while very bad this time, yes, that was very much worse and serious.  I could breathe this time whereas last time just breathing was laborious for quite some time.  Yes, don't wish that upon anyone.  (This one, however...  ;))
  • I had last tested positive the Wednesday before Christmas, and had already decided it was just too close in time to see my Mom on Saturday.  Instead, I went down to see her after work on the following Tuesday to watch the late-starting Badger bowl game.  We enjoyed some barbecue takeout and enjoyed watching the game and other videos while talking until almost 2 in the morning.  I got a little tipsy but had a great time, and I think she did, too.  Better than Christmas any day.
  • New Years Eve, as I mentioned last post, was spent getting all cleaned and dressed up for a fancy dinner out with friends.  It was a good time, then a quiet night in after that.  My wife's birthday is coming up fast, so we'll be doing something for her soon.
  • Since this last bout of Covid I've gotten out of the habit of jumping on the treadmill after work every day.  I was doing 15 minutes or more at 3 mph at the time, now I've been on it just a couple times in the last week for about 10 minutes each time, I think for two reasons.  One, my knees haven't been the best lately, been pretty sore, especially since I was on my feet much more than normal one day recently and I do need to upgrade my leg pillow for sleeping.  And two, I have to start over with the balance issues I've had with walking on the treadmill.  Even though it got better the more I used it, it's never gone away.  I think I've said before, like slipping on a rug on ice!
  • I have a bunch of albums that I haven't even looked at in a long time, let alone played.  I keep saving leads on where I could sell them but I never follow up on it.  Is it laziness or not wanting to let go?
  • I've been interested in making homemade bread for a while now, and I've finally started.  First with simple, no-knead recipes and working on getting to make what I want confidently.  I thought I took pictures of the earlier ones, but I only have pictures of my last two breads here.  They both tasted good, but my technique still needs improvement.  We have a stand mixer to help with the recipes that are needing kneading (I couldn't resist!).  I've also ordered a bun pan so I will make buns for when we make my 'famous' homemade smashburgers, but this weekend I will attempt to make baguette.  

I hope the new year is treating everyone well.  Overall, it's just a continuation of the same thing, isn't it?  But that's not a good attitude, they tell me.  Have I become more cynical with age?  I guess it's almost impossible not to.  Oh well, have a great week, everyone.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Aside of the covid, you sound like you have been having fun. That's good.

The trouble with home-made bread is the amount of it that it is tempting to eat. The treadmill will be doubly needed after all the carbs... :) On the other hand, at least you know exactly what's going into it, which is more than you can say for store-bought stuff.

Scoakat said...

Yes, some good times but more gray, mundane winter days, it seems. I haven't been outside much at all recently. But Covid knocked 10 pounds off me and they've stayed off so far.

I won't make it too often, I just like having good bread and the idea that I made it myself. Still planning on making baguette this weekend, the most complex preparation I've done yet.

delcatto said...

Mmmm…Fresh baked bread. We bake occasionally because it doesn’t last very long once out of the oven and I am trying to maintain a low carb diet. I might bake this weekend!

Scoakat said...

Occasionally is about right, and much more than the never I baked before.

I got some yeast today that is part sourdough culture, supposed to be an easier way to get sourdough without the hassle of starter. I'm going to use it for the baguette, of which I'll be making the poolish soon tonight. I have high hopes, but I'm sure it will be edible no matter what.

Tell me what you bake this weekend, delcatto?