Monday, September 6, 2021

Family Fire Pit and Labor Day

 The last couple months I've only had one fire, due mostly to the heat or sometimes rain.  Saturday was overcast and cool, a good day for a fire, and for all the in-laws.


Yes, we had my wife's side of the family over to celebrate her sister's birthday.  About a dozen of us, overall, so not too crowded.  We grilled burgers and I ran out of gas halfway through, so my wife had to finish them off inside.  But other than that things went about as well as expected and I think everyone had a good time, especially my 5 year old nephew.  He was so excited, and his dad said he's been talking about it for days.  I had a lot of fun playing with him, mostly the bean bag toss game as well as a 5 year old can, and did more than I should have as I've been paying for it ever since.  Not the smartest of me, but I don't often get to play with kids and we had fun.

I was feeling guilty for not going on a walk before company on Saturday, but I needn't have worried as I ended up with over 14 thousand steps.  I'm sure it was all the setup of the garage and yard, then the reverse after everyone had left.  Not to mention playing with a 5 year old a bit too much.  I've not walked now since Thursday, and I won't again until maybe tomorrow.  And that's okay with me, right now.

Last night I was tempted to go to my first larger show since the pandemic.  Tickets were still available, proof of vaccination (or negative test within the last 72 hours) was required, and masks highly encouraged.  It would have been different, but fun, I'm sure, but I was also still sore and out of 4 bands there was one I really would have liked to see and the others take or leave.  A ticket was only 25 bucks, but add in the fees, parking, and a beer would double that, and almost double that again if I got a tee shirt.  Tetrarch was to be the second band to play, so maybe a 40 minute set, maximum, I would guess.  I like them but not enough to go through with all that, but I'm sure there will be a show soon that I won't be able to pass up.

Happy Labor Day, everyone.  I'm celebrating by being extremely lazy today.  Aside from the shot on Wednesday I'm hoping for a very quiet week, then there will be more fun to come next weekend.

5 comments:

delcatto said...

It's always good to have fun and be a kid again and give them happy memories to look back on. Great to see the firepit get some use and hopefully more this autumn.

Good luck with the shot on Wednesday!

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Declan! Yes, was fun but I'll have to remember not to overdo it.

I can't wait to get past this. I check into the hospital early so should be home by midday tomorrow, but my legs may be shaky for a bit so won't be doing a whole lot.

Nic said...

Sounds like a good day, glad you enjoyed yourself.
I totally get the balance of not going to the gig, there have been a couple recently that a friend has asked me to go to but with the travel on top of everything else I haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm.

Blue Witch said...

Hope all went well, and best wishes for the recovery and better, pain free, future.

I have no desire to go to mass events... possibly ever again...

Scoakat said...

Thanks Nic and BW. There's been plenty of opportunities to see a band here, almost any night, but I've not done it yet. Mostly because I'm older and don't often go out at night anymore. Still, some touring band I like enough will come around eventually and circumstances will be right and I'll jump at the chance. I just cannot NOT be around live music again, BW. I love the youtube videos, but there's nothing like being there.

This morning went well, thanks, and it was almost as painful as the last one. It can take some time so the jury is still out right now.