Friday, September 24, 2021

Aw, Nuts!

It's not been an overwhelming year for black walnuts as only one of neighbor Dave's three trees is producing this year, but there's sure enough.  In the past there's been years now and again when it seems never-ending.  One year I think I stopped counting at a thousand, or maybe it was less, not sure.  But next time it's so plentiful I may continue the count just for fun.  Not sure how often they produce, whether every other year or whatever, I may have to look that up.

I just use my outdoor grabber (no bending!) to pick them up and toss them in the back corner behind the lilac bush, every day or every other day when the season comes.  The squirrels love it and are happily fattening up for winter, leaving black walnut litter everywhere, too.  And they stash them in the most odd places sometimes.  We've found them in the corners of the back steps and doorway, on the railing, and various odd places in the garage even, when I leave the door open.  In pots, in the gardens, and under leaves or grass like that's a good spot.  I even found one in the hanging plant out front.  Not sure how they got in there, but they did.  Bastards.  ;)

But how in the heck did they get one in/on the telephone wire that runs along the back yard property lines?  I thought I'd never be surprised where I find one, but I was a bit surprised at this one!

Happy Autumn, everyone.

4 comments:

delcatto said...

It's good to feed the squirrels but are you not tempted to harvest them for yourself?
I do like coffee and walnut cake washed down with a mug of good coffee.

It's cooling off during the nights here, the leaves are turning and we managed to get Maisie in last night. All sigs that autumn is coming.

Happy Autumn!

Scoakat said...

It's just not worth the effort to try and harvest them when you can pick up a pound of them that are already cleaned for just a couple bucks.

Not sure how much color we'll get from the trees yet, due to the mild drought we've been in all year, but I'm sure we'll find out very soon. The black walnut trees are the first to drop their leaves, and that's happening now but they're always just yellow.

Fire tonight, I think, hopefully in shorts but we'll see. Happy Autumn to you, too!

Nic said...

Excellent and fascinating. We have mice (some of which are the rare yellow necked mouse) which "hide" hazelnuts in our garage every autumn. Almost every container will have at least one.

As for your Hostas...pah, ours don't look that good at the beginning of the season let alone the end!

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Nic. Yes, at least the walnuts are bigger so easy to spot and remove.

I must confess, some of the hostas in the stump area and along the house are stunted due to me getting reckless with a weed spray for the lawn a few years ago. Seeing them I am constantly reminded but my wife won't let me dig them out.

I'm also starting to see shades of yellows and reds in the trees, but it's a bit early yet here, not peak. I guess the mild drought isn't enough to affect them despite what the tv people keep saying.