Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Back Shot II, Birthday and Vacation

Last Wednesday I had my second back shot in the last two months, so by now I should know fully how much it helped and what I'm left with.  The first back shot was maybe 50% effective, which still left considerable room for improvement.  This second back shot was at least 50% effective again, maybe more, and what I'm left with is some tingling in my left leg/foot and sometimes pain in my left seat and groin.  Not painful enough to keep taking opioids, but enough to notice, so this is just what I'm left to deal with until I can't anymore, hopefully several years in the future.  In another week I check in with the neurosurgeons office again so we'll see what they say, but I don't expect any new course of action.  I will live, thank you for your thoughts, everyone.

On Saturday we had some friends over to celebrate my and Terry's birthdays with food, fun and fire.

We only invited a handful of people - it seems I've lost some friends since the pandemic, so be it.  Polite declines would be fine with me but ghosting pretty much says everything you need to know, so the invitations just won't be made anymore.  Oh well, I guess they weren't very good friends to begin with, then.  I've had only a small group of friends for a long time now and it seems to get smaller as I get older, and less 'good friends' as much as 'good acquaintances' now.  I seem to have even lost one of my oldest friends since high school (over 35 years ago) just because we view Covid differently.  I even reached out since, said we can just agree to disagree on this topic, but no response since that last conversation when I hung up on him because he wouldn't stop arguing about it.  C'est la vie.

This week I'm on vacation, and I didn't plan on any project to keep me busy but my to-do list will be enough.  After Saturday night with friends by the fire I was pretty lazy on Sunday, drank too much and stayed up way too late.  But on Monday I went down to Dubuque to visit my Mom.  We had a nice visit, got a couple things done for her, and mostly just hung out and talked.  I spent the night and came back early on Tuesday since I had a dentist appointment and a few errands I needed to run.  I also got a good walk in that day.

Today I spent several hours in the basement, mostly just cleaning, dusting, sweeping and vacuuming.  I had high hopes of going through a lot of stuff to sort, donate and trash, but my wife needs to be around for much of that so by the time I finished cleaning I was happy to be done.  Also had lots of heavy things to test my back with putting away downstairs.  A couple hundred pounds of water softener salt, 80 pounds of cat litter, and tables and chairs that were brought up for having company the last couple weekends.  The back held up well, thankfully, so next was yardwork.  I did some cleaning up in the gardens and trimmed some bushes, among other things.  I might get out there for a fire tonight, but we'll see how tired I feel as dusk nears.

Tomorrow is power washer day.  I'll get the power washer out and wash the house, garage, steps, driveway, and whatever else needs a power washing.  Likely not as long a day as today, but I'm on vacation, after all.  I might get to cleaning windows, but currently I have that penciled in for Friday along with cleaning the garage, which won't be too much in there as the garage is about as organized as can be so just a little cleaning.  Then the weekend has its normal chores, plus we've ordered a new sofa and ottoman (both on backorder) so will do some measuring and moving the living room rug in anticipation of the new furniture.  I think we'll be moving the old couch out to the porch, which will actually help us use the porch more often, too.

So it sounds busy, but the chores get easier as the week goes so I will have plenty of time for doing other things or doing nothing, as I see fit.  Weather-wise has been pretty good but getting more seasonable.  This weekend will be very hot again, maybe for the last time as next week I will have to consider getting out my long pants for the first time since spring.  It's been nice, living in shorts and bare feet all summer, but all good things must come to an end.  Like this, if this was a good thing.  Autumn officially starts one week from today, folks.

7 comments:

Nic said...

I'm glad you're getting at least some pain relief without having to go into the murky world of opiates too deeply.
The Covid split thing is weird....I'm glad to say I've not come across it directly with any of my close friends but then I don't have many to start with!
Enjoy your week off!

Blue Witch said...

Happy birthday, belatedly. You sound busy! Glad things are bearable, back-wise, now.

Arguing about covid is just daft, isn't it? And fancy falling out with people over it. I blame social media for the decline in real face-to-face friendships. Unsocial media makes it all too easy to make absolutely no effort to keep in touch with people. I know you don't do that, any more than I do, but I'm sure it affects how much effort people are/aren't prepared to put in to keeping in touch with us.

Scoakat said...

Hi guys, thank you. Yes, the back is certainly bearable, and I've tested it plenty this week. Though some symptoms persist they are manageable now, even if bothersome at times.

That friendship has been mostly long distance for a long time now, and I do hope it's not over. Some people just get so angry about restrictions, vaccines and mask mandates whereas I see it as working toward the greater good for all. There are details that I don't wish to share, but that pretty much sums it up. I'll reach out again, I'm sure.

Man, I forgot how tiring the power washing can be. Not just the washing, but the scrubbing and ladder and dragging it all around. It was a very tiring day, but needed and I'm glad it's done. I hit 10,000 steps by about 2:00 this afternoon, so again no walk today!

Scoakat said...

Oh, Nic, congrats on 30 years! I left a comment but it had a url (I wasn't thinking) so I'm sure it went to the sin bin.

delcatto said...

Happy Birthday albeit belated wishes!

Also glad that the interventions have helped your back.

Sadly one of my oldest friends appears to have fallen out with me about covid despite us both agreeing to leave it well alone. It is ridiculous and I agree with BW about social media impacting on real contacts with people.
I now just focus on modelling, some paranormal and cats via social media and even that seems to provoke disputes and anger!

Nic said...

Thanks Scoakat...and thanks for the link, it was probably time I checked in the sin bin anyway! Cheers!

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Delcatto! Yes, communication has eroded quite drastically, not just in our lifetime, but just in the last couple decades, even. The price of "progress?"

Cheers, Nic and Mrs. H!