Friday, July 9, 2021

Literally Back. And Back.

I've not posted in a few weeks as I just haven't had much good to say.  I'd written about my latest with my back, so it made no sense to keep complaining until there was something new.  Well, I guess there was something new, I was just too upset about it to write about it at the time.

I spoke to my doctors office on Tuesday, June 15, and they said they couldn't schedule the shot in my back (a CT-guided left S1 selective nerve root injection) until it was preauthorized by my insurance and they would submit it that day.  By Tuesday, June 23, I had not heard anything back so sent a message to my doctor's office to inquire.  I waited the next day, but received no response.  So early on Thursday I contacted my insurance and they said they just  received the request the day before - 8 days after my doctor's office said they would submit it.  I told the story to that insurance agent, and she seemed sympathetic.  The preauthorization was approved the very next day, so either she expedited it for me or my doctor's office got it expedited somehow.  Probably the former, not the latter, but I'm still bitter.

I'd never had a reason to not trust my doctor's office before, but I won't make that mistake in the future.  They'd been bought out several years ago now by a larger company so I'm sure expenses had to be trimmed and the quality soon follows (duh!).  But I had to spend 8 extra days in pain, 8 extra days on opioids, and 8 extra days limited for work.  Eventually I got a cursory apology from the guilty staff, and a more in-depth apology from the head of the department, but I was definitely not happy.  I considered my options; talking to a lawyer, taking them to small claims court, even calling and yelling until I was blue in the face.  But in the end, nothing would come of it and I would just be more miserable.  Best to get on with it and go through with it.  Just get it done.

Eventually I got my injection two days ago, Wednesday, July 7.  It was certainly the most painful of these injections I had, I think this is the 4th, and not the most or least effective I've had, either.  I still have pain in my butt and groin, sometimes extending down the back of my thigh or to the back of my knee, all left side, and my left heel has been tingling ever since.  I no longer get pain all the way to my foot, or the very sharp pain from internal pressure, such as a cough.  

Overall, it's just taken the edge off and I think this is something I'll just have to live with.  Until I can't anymore.  Then I get to go through this whole process yet again.  Next time maybe ending up in front of a neurosurgeon.

So, that's that, I'll try not to complain about it here anymore.  I do have some things I'd like to catch up on so I'll try to write more this weekend.  Stay healthy, everyone.



See what I did with the post title?  Which back is which? Sometimes I just make myself laugh.  :)


Narrative

CT NERVE BLOCK L OR S UNILAT, 7/7/2021 10:32 AM CDT, St. Marys Hospital-Madison

INDICATION:
M54.17 Lumbosacral radiculopathy at S1

ADDITIONAL CLINICAL INFORMATION:
Ordering Provider Reason for Exam:
Technologist Note:
Additional: None

PROCEDURE:
CT dose reduction techniques were used, including Automated Exposure Control.

The risks, benefits, and alternatives to the procedure were discussed with the
patient, who agreed to proceed and signed informed consent. A standard timeout
was performed and universal protocol policy steps were completed for the
documented procedure.

The patient was placed in the prone position in the CT gantry. Using CT
guidance, an appropriate skin entry site was chosen to access the left S1 nerve
root. The skin was prepped and draped in standard sterile fashion.

Standard timeout was performed.

1% lidocaine was used for local anesthesia. Under CT guidance, a 22-gauge
needle was advanced to lie with its tip adjacent to the nerve root. Appropriate
needle position was confirmed with CT imaging. A mixture containing 1.5 mL of
0.5% bupivacaine and 1.0 mL of Dexamethasone (10 mg/mL) was then administered
in and around the nerve root. The needle was then withdrawn.

The patient tolerated the procedure well. There were no immediate
complications.

FINDINGS:
CT imaging demonstrates appropriate needle position at the time of medication
administration.

COMPLICATIONS:
None immediate.

7 comments:

Blue Witch said...

That sounds horrendous. *shudders* BW Blue Star for bravery, and hope the good effects last for a long time.

Until one has back problems, we don't realise just how central our backs are to everything we do. Just as a thought, have you ever tried Alexander Technique? Years ago, when I first had back problems (not on the scale of yours I hasten to add) a friend who was training gave me some lessons and the principles still stay with me.

Scoakat said...

I haven't heard of the Alexander Technique, but looking it up now, thank you. But I know I must keep up with my exercises and lose some weight.

delcatto said...

Oh my word, sorry to hear about that Scott. It beggars belief that they would knowingly allow you to endure pain for an extra eight days.
It does sound horrendous to echo BW and I hope it does settle everything down.

I can second the Alexander technique and I have to remind myself to use the couple of bits I know. It's odd, I teach anxiety management with breathing techniques and posture all the time yet I am my own worst enemy for not using them!

Keep well.

Scoakat said...

Thank you both for your thoughts.

I don't think they knowingly did it, Declan, I think they dropped the ball and were reminded a week later when I asked about it. They realized then and belatedly submitted it, but still never replied to me.

It's still evolving, I went up a number this morning. And they do say it could take several days to settle in. I just hope it settles on the good side of the fence, but I'm not terribly encouraged right now.

Blue Witch said...

It's the postural bits of Alexander Technique that are worth learning and practising. Sitting at a PC without regularly thinking about posture is the very worst thing for backs.

Imagine a piece of string coming out of the top of your head, and someone picking you up by that string, and holding you just a couple of mm off the ground, is the posture you should be adopting all the time, sitting or standing.

Nic said...

Glad there's been at least some progress with your back. Another +1 for the Alexander Technique from me, I know my mother found it really useful.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, too, Nic. I've heard of the string thing before, and I do know the importance of posture. I do try, but I should have tried harder starting 20-30 years ago! I rarely sit anymore without one of my lumbar rolls (I've accumulated several by now) in my lower back. I have one on every chair I use, even (especially) by the fire.

And since we're both working from home I bought us stands a couple months ago to use as a stand up desk while working, and I need to use that more, too. My wife was using a stack of books on the TV stand before, and since I got my dual monitors and new stand that can raise them that high, I've been able to stand and work comfortably. For simple tasks, anyway. The more serious the work is, I sit, it seems.