Sunday, June 20, 2021

Solstice Plant Update

This has been a difficult spring, not being able to do all I want to do.  I've had to let things go for a later time, which is very much against my nature.  One of the things I've let go of is trying to keep protecting the potted plants, and the rabbits have gone to town on them.  Whether in the pots on the stump or the pot out front, they've just been eaten right up, even though other plants in the area were their favorites in years past. Only the hanging basket out front is doing well as it's out of reach.  And the petunias I moved onto the back steps about a week ago, so are making a small comeback.  We even put out a tray of water thinking they were eating them for the moisture during our mild drought.  Very discouraging, but I still will not be letting our cats out.  There are other neighborhood cats that roam free and they do come in our yard sometimes, but makes no difference.

Meanwhile, in the gardens, the strawberries and raspberries have been doing very well since being replanted.  The strawberries are winding down but the raspberries are just starting to ripen.  The (what I believe to be) cucumber vines have grown into monsters.  We've been trying to keep the vines on the fences but they are reaching in all directions and show no signs of slowing down.  If we don't start seeing some flowers soon we may start pulling them out, starting with the multiple large vines in the raspberries, but we'll give them a little more time.  The fence doesn't go all the way around the raspberries as I ran out of chicken wire, but it's working well enough as is.

Weather has been seasonable lately.  We've gone back and forth from air conditioning to windows open, and have had some rain lately with more called for here in a couple hours.  The front lawn had gone mostly brown so the rain is good, but we're still several inches below normal so far.


The view over the house is a little different now with one less tree, but it's still nice to look up and ponder life by the light of the fire.  Happy solstice, everyone.

7 comments:

Nic said...

Great fire animation (and great cat too obviously). Happy Solstice to you too!

Blue Witch said...

"Very discouraging, but I still will not be letting our cats out."

BW Blue Star for successfully guessing what I would say ;)

Scoakat said...

Thanks, I just had a picture there when I initially posted but about an hour later Google informed me it made the animation, so I replaced it.

I had written a sentence directly to you, BW! But then thought better and wrote that. LOL ;)

delcatto said...

A late Happy Solstice Scott! Hopefully things will now improve and it is always nice to see the fire pit in action.
Plus the great cat picture.
Our four moggies are making the most of the longer day but decidedly unseasonal days which are cold and often wet.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Declan. I finally have a date, July 7. Turns out my doctor's office didn't submit it for preauthorization until 8 days later than they told me. I'm very much not happy about it and currently exploring my options. After all, 8 more days of pain, 8 more days of taking opioids, and 8 more days of work restriction. Definitely not happy is an understatement.

Blue Witch said...

If it is still today, hope all goes well. Thinking of you.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. Yes, I got the shot this morning. I've not really been in a writing or commenting mood lately, sorry, but I will try to do something soon.