Sunday, July 18, 2021

This Week, In Pictures (Mostly)

I don't think I have many words to say, but I'm sure I'll think of something.  I do have several pictures of our area from this past week that I'd like to share.


This is what's left of the potted plants on the stump, and it doesn't look too bad.  The rest had been ravaged by the rabbits.  Not pictured here are the flower pot out front and petunias on the back steps.  The only thing left out front was a green stalk of a yellow marigold that was still trying to live, everything else was devoured.  I moved a couple petunias out front and surrounded the pot with chicken wire and they seem to be doing well.

For the sake of keeping the home page tidy, see the rest after the break!


Another delivery of firewood was due a week ago Friday, two days after my shot, but the truck broke down.  That Friday night I burned the last of the firewood I had.  It was then due on Tuesday, but they broke another part when replacing the first broken part, so it got delivered on Wednesday - thankfully before the rain so I had a chance to cover it as well as I could.  The delay was no concern to me, I had no imminent fire pit plans. In fact, this weekend on Friday night I had another livestream event, this time it was Anthrax celebrating their 40th anniversary.  (Rather impressive with a show over 2 hours long followed by a 46 minute behind the scenes video.)  Then on Saturday night was the NBA finals, which our Milwaukee Bucks won and are now one win away from the championship(!).  I considered watching the game on my phone by the fire, but not really seriously.


On Saturday a friend came over and helped me get the wood stacked nice and neat, so I'm all ready to go for the next time, now.  And I can get my car in the garage again after having a pile of wood in the driveway for several days.  

These are just some wildflowers I picked for my wife during one of my walks along the bike path.  A little past their peak here, but still nice.



The back yard is so green, and when the fence is wet, like it is just a bit still in the first picture here, the color of the cedar contrasts it nicely.  The hostas are flowering, and it just seems like peak summer perfection at the moment.  I like our little space a lot.  And I did add some shredded paper on top of the vines in the compost bin, thanks BW, but after this picture was taken.

And, of course, the cats!  One last note, my doctor has referred me to their spine center.  I answered a bunch of questions for them and should hear something back this week.  I'm not expecting a whole lot, at best another shot, at worst nothing happens, until it more urgently needs to.  We'll see, I guess.  Happy summer, everyone.

8 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Looking good! We'll never have a log pile that beautifully stacked, although I htink there's one a little bit out of place in the bottom middle... ;)

Those cats are so funny - and the 'pattern' on the rug complements them!

I'm amused by your definition of 'wild flowers' too. BW Blue Star for Value love token!

I do like your white-edged hostas. How many plants did you start off with?

Nic said...

Always envious of your hostas.....we don't bother anymore as the slugs eat them. Also envious of your wood-stacking....much neater than mine (though I do have a lot more!)
Finally, love the cats.

delcatto said...

That is a lovely tidy garden and yes, like BW I noticed the piece of wood out of alignment!

Loving the wildflowers and of course the two moggies! A delight as ever although ours are once again 'summer feral'.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Scoakat said...

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I wish I could have you all over to visit back there around a fire.

The hostas were here when we moved in, I just moved a couple around to fill in some areas. I counted once and I think it was almost 40 of them. They would be easier to count in spring, before they blend together. They line the east side of the house by neighbor Dave, along the back fence, a few in the stump area and the stump was fully circled until we lost the front ones in the 2012 drought, when the stump was still a tree. They're easy and look good, so I like them.

The wood rack is bent pipes, so the angles are curved. This leaves a triangular dip in the bottom middle, and that piece fit in nicely. If you look at both bottom corners you'll see smaller pieces tucked in there, too. I don't spend too much time on it, but I do try to stack it well and tight. Part of the reason this post got my OCD tag. ;)

What would you call wildflowers, BW? Remember when they burned the banks of the creek this spring? The flora has bounced back nicely with all sorts of these flowers. So much so you have a hard time seeing the creek at all!

Blue Witch said...

When hostas are happy, they spread. Yours must be very happy.

Wildflowers - well, most of those in your vase might be classed as wildflowers where you are, but over here they'd be highly prized garden plants and sell for $12-$15 for a small plant in a garden centre! You've got echinacea (pink ones), monarda, rudbeckia (sort-of - but not quite right - NiC will probably know what they are, I can't think right now, it's too hot here!).

Scoakat said...

I have thought about re-homing some of those wildflowers to our flowerbeds. You do see them in some gardens in the area.

Heard back from the spine center today. They want me to see a neurosurgeon for a consultation, the same doctor that did my neck surgery and latest back surgery. First available appointment is a month away yet, though, so another month of pain and opioids while trying to not miss too much work. Why does this process have to be so long?

Blue Witch said...

I'm really sorry to hear that you've still got a month's wait Scoakat.
Is the doctor one you have confidence in? I'm guessing that he's good in that he has such a waiting list.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. I think it would be that long for any of their neurosurgeons. Personally, I always thought this doctor was somewhat of a dick, but I don't have to like him personally for him to fix me.