Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Wildflowers

Attention Email Readers!  The blog emails when I post are still going out, at least as of the last post, but the end of July is nigh and the emails will no longer be sent.  Go to the link at the bottom of your email and save as a favorite or shortcut on your phone now!  Thank you.

*Edit: Now Feedburner says the emails will be discontinued in August.

Inspired by the comments in the last post, I took my camera phone with me on a couple walks today along our section of Starkweather Creek and the bike path.  It can be hard to see even in real life, but there is a creek in there!  I'm tall, and many of the flowers are waist high to me but some get much taller than me.  I don't know all the names of them, I've just been admiring the view whenever I can.  Yes, I'm sure seeds were spread by people at times, but I still call them wildflowers.

More flowers plus other sights after the break!



I've posted a picture of a sign along the bike path declaring the area a Monarch Waystation before, and it's true as I see several every time out.  I know they like the flowers, and there's lots of milkweed for them as well.  There's even a low-hanging nest along the bike path that has little baby birds.  A very nice walk, indeed.



Just a quick back update, the spine center determined a consultation with a neurosurgeon was warranted, but the first available appointment is almost a month away.  After going without prescription pain medication for a week after the shot I've had to get back on it again.  Work is difficult, sitting or standing.  It's hard to be tied to the desk all day when I'm so uncomfortable I just need to move around.  Well, it won't be like this forever, right?

6 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Those birds are living on borrowed time, aren't they?

Very pretty area you have to walk through there. Is it usually busy with people?

Scoakat said...

Well, I would've asked why you thought that but I walked by it just a bit ago and the nest was empty. I think there were 3 in there 2 days ago and I'm not sure they were big enough to leave on their own yet, but maybe.

Not very busy, usually. Two bikes passed me today on probably the equivalent of 4 city blocks, but it varies. I walk other areas too, but like coming back on the bike path. It will get busier the closer you get to downtown, though.

I got another idea for a pictorial post from my walks, but we'll see.

delcatto said...

A lovely walk and wonderful to see the variety.
Any foxes or other mammals about?

Scoakat said...

Aside from mice, rats, bats, voles, chipmunks, squirrels, opossum and raccoons there is a space less than a mile away with a number of deer, right in the city. I've not personally seen a fox in our neighborhood (they are sly!), but I and others have seen foxes before in Madison and even a coyote.

Scoakat said...

Rabbits! How could I forget rabbits? I think that's now a complete list of mammals I've seen around here. Thanks for the question, Delcatto.

delcatto said...

That's a great variety of animals and the rabbits being forgotten made me laugh!