Friday, June 4, 2021

Unexpected Cucumbers

We grew some cucumbers in our gardens once, but it was years ago.  Now, in 3 of the 4 gardens new cucumber vines are thriving.  The only way they could have gotten into the gardens is from our compost soil, from cucumbers we bought but went bad before they got eaten.  And, strangely enough, they are sold as 'seedless' cucumbers.  My wife likes them in her salad, I'm not a huge fan.

In the two gardens on the left with strawberry plants they are luckily close to the chicken wire and are climbing up and over it.  In the lower right garden there are several vines and they are attached to the raspberries.  This weekend we'll put a fence around that and I'll try to coax the cucumber vines over.  Or use delicate brute force, whatever works.






If we get a bumper crop I'll have to look up how to make them into pickles!







Also, almost two weeks ago Sunday the big peony (fuscia?) started blooming, and the neighbor's pink ones across the driveway.  There's only been little rain and the sun has been strong recently and this peony has lost it's luster, but the others are just beginning.  We also have one on either side of the gardens and last post I forgot exactly the colors.  I thought one was white and one was pink, but they're both pink - a very light pink.  Peony pics after the break!





4 comments:

Nic said...

Bonus crops, love them! Like many home grown produce I've always found cucumber almost a different product when fresh from the garden....the ones we grow have rather rough skin but so much more flavour!
We did did have one year when Mrs.Planarchy pickled some but usually we just eat them all up!

Scoakat said...

I'm more of a pickle person, but my Mom made some version of sliced and peeled cucumbers in vinegar and herbs when I was young. I've asked her about and she can't remember how she used to make them, unfortunately. We'll see, if we get enough I may try to find something similar online.

delcatto said...

That’s a bonus!
Home grown cucumbers taste wonderful, lots of flavour and a revelation compared to shop bought ones. Sadly I didn’t plant any this year but I bought some Petunias following your blog. I plan to find a suitable spot and I will post in a blog in the next couple of days.
I also love picketed cucumbers and gherkins, sweet or sharp pickling as both tasty.

Scoakat said...

The rabbits found the petunias and the pots on the stump. Do you have them in your garden? I remembered I had some animal repellent from a couple years ago when something was leaving poops in the back yard, so I sprinkled it around. Hopefully it helps.