Friday, May 28, 2021

Plant Day 2021

*Please note, this was written yesterday but pictures would not upload to Blogger at that time. An asterisk means it was written just now.

Regular readers will know that every May I take a week off for vacation, and one of those vacation days I call Plant Day - the day I go out and get ornamental plants and put them in pots to watch them grow and bloom all season.  Yesterday was looking to be the nicest day of the rest of the week, so that's what I did, but I ran out of potting soil so had to get some this morning to finish up.

The old tree stump is starting to fall apart now, especially the front side.  I actually tried to get less plants than I usually do so fewer pots on the stump, but not sure if I succeeded.  We also normally get two hanging pots, one for by the front door and one by the back door, but the hanging pot in back is in full sun all day so plants there usually get pretty rough looking by the end of the season.  I did put the yellow flowers you see on the stump in a pot that can be hung.  Those and the purple ones like it are meant for full sun, so if it stays looking good it may get put on a shepherd's hook by the back door at a later time.  

I also have some petunias in a long pot by the back door.  Petunias are usually pretty safe and easy - when the rabbits aren't eating them, anyway.  Several plants aren't really blooming here yet, but with time I'm sure the pots on the stump will get more colorful.  You can ask me the names of the plants, but if it's not the petunias, marigolds or geraniums then I'll have to go look it up as I don't usually remember that kind of thing very well.

Today is much cooler (currently 45ºF!), overcast and rainy, as tomorrow is expected to be, before we get back to seasonable temperatures.  The big peony started opening its flowers on Sunday, and I worry because sometimes all it takes is one real heavy rain after the peonies open for them to go to shit, so you have to enjoy them while you can.  At the back of the garage are two other, smaller peonies, as well.  A white one left of the gardens and a pink one to the right (or opposite, I forget).  Those aren't blooming yet, they're always a bit behind the big one by the house.

And just a quick back update, I have an MRI scheduled in less than 2 weeks.  Hopefully I don't need to see the neurosurgeon or have surgery and can get the shot shortly after - and it works.  This pain sucks, so wish me luck, please.

*Pictures of the peonies and other things I found interesting after the break!





*All pictures above are from yesterday, Thursday.  Below are a couple interesting ones from Wednesday, when there was sun!  I figured as long as I'm adding pictures...  ;)







*Have a great weekend, everyone!


*Reminder to email readers:  Starting in July the blog emails are no longer supported, you will no longer be getting an email when I post.  Click on the link below to go to the website and save as a favorite now!  Thank you.

6 comments:

delcatto said...

Looking like it will be colourful display and just what the doctor ordered, garden and colour therapy.
I have to admit I am not very good at naming plants and I frequently have to refer to labels I attach to them.

Good luck with the MRI and the shot, hopefully it will do the job.

Blue Witch said...

Looking good! We have a peony about to burst too. I'm amazed how fast that stump has decomposed.

'Urgent MRI' time for a potentially life-threatening condition, in the UK, currently 6 weeks under the NHS. Perhaps 10 days less if one is prepared to pay (not next day as normal due to private companies profiteering from NHS's backlogs). DAMHIK (but fortunately it's not me). Covid is the best excuse ever.

Warm yesterday and this morning, cold this afternoon and evening. Hope you have a good weekend.

Nic said...

Your peonie are way ahead of ours...and looking great.

Love the cat in the window pic at the end.

Scoakat said...

It was a good distraction, thanks. I do keep the labels in the pot so I know, not that it helps me much.

A quiet day in as it's cold and damp out again. There's plenty for me to do that I just can't right now, thankfully nothing urgent. Pain management is an issue, but I've had it worse before and I keep reminding myself of that. My left leg started having moments of weakness since yesterday, though hasn't made me fall yet. I'm still hoping just a shot will do it, and not a third surgery. But I am worried.

Scoakat said...

Oh my, it's been busy here since I started thinking of my last comment.

Thanks, BW. Peonies are nice, big flowers, but fleeting! I'd have to look up the exact year, but it's been several since we had the tree cut down. Fungus and ants are having their way with it, breaking it down well. Technically I should have to wait about another month for the MRI, but my doctor treated it as a continuation of my 2018 issues to speed up the process for me.

And thank you, Nic. The cat is in the house behind us, across the fence. I just thought it would make a good picture, but a bit too zoomed in for clarity. I haven't checked out the new song yet, but will soon!

Scoakat said...

Just as an update, both the peonies by the gardens are pink, though very, very light pink so almost white. Both starting to bloom now, while the big one is getting scorched by the sun.