Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Back Steps

Step 1, exercises, ice packs and muscle relaxers.  Step 2, give in and see the doctor.  Step 3, get prescribed steroids, pain relievers and muscle relaxers.  Step 4, physical therapy.  Step 5, MRI and referral to a neurosurgeon.  Step 6, steroid shot in spine.  Step 7, surgery.  Repeat as needed.  I hope these steps are a whole lot more familiar to me than any of you.

Speaking only of my lower back, I've been completely through these steps twice now, in 2000 and in 2010.  In April to June of 2018 I got to step 6, but two shots in the spine.  The first one didn't work so I was given a choice, try the shot again or schedule surgery.  I chose to try a second shot and that time it worked, until now.  Currently I'm at step 3, moving to step 4 in 12 days.  A few physical therapy sessions may be helpful, I think.  How far it goes after that is still up in the air, but I'm hoping this is where it ends this time.

I've had to write this a bit at a time as it's difficult to stay seated here at the desk.  And I had written about what I'm going through currently in much more detail, but no one wants to hear all that, so this will be a short post.  Suffice it to say that while this totally sucks, it is certainly nothing new to me and I will survive.  I'm encouraged as I think I'm feeling better already, but that also may just be the opioid in my system.  I should probably take a nap here soon.

So, nothing else to really talk about as this has been all that I've been up to since my last post.  I'm not writing this to ask for sympathy, I just have time (I'm bored) and this is what's been happening recently.  Back issues are pretty popular, has anyone reading been through any of this?  Feel free to share your own war stories in the comments.  Stay well.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Ouch. Ouch, ouch. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Hope you can get some relief soon.

Has it been exacerbated by a year largely WFH with less movement other than sitting?

Scoakat said...

Hi BW. The morning is the worst, as I put weight on it. It seems to get better as the day goes, but I got a good painkiller, too. I know I've had it worse in the past, so I hope to get through this sooner than later.

Working from home is likely a factor. I don't get near as many steps in daily this past year-plus. Now that the weather's nicer I really need to make an effort to get more exercise. Even walking is good for the back.

delcatto said...

Very much Ouch!!
Wishing you well and hopefully the physical therapy helps. Does swimming help? When it hurts when you are sitting or lying down is dreadful as you really get no respite.
I have a date in my diary to rejoin my local slimming club as I lost weight last year then regained it and boy, do my knees feel it. Gentle walking and knee supports currently but weight loss will be the best way to reduce the pain. Also managing stress without the quick fix chocolates, beer and other carbs.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, delcatto. I bet swimming would help, but I'd have to join a gym with a pool. We have one public swimming pool here and I've never been, and not sure I'd like that. Still, something to think about. I do weigh as much as I ever have, I believe, and my knees are becoming an issue, too. Losing weight would help me in lots of ways, but easier said than done!