Sunday, May 23, 2021

20th Anniversary

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on Tuesday, well, no real celebration since it was a Tuesday, but we did have a few friends over for fire and cake last night.  This is the first time we've had more than just another couple over for a fire and socializing in well over a year.  In fact, possibly since late 2019 as it was early spring in 2020 when the shit hit the fan.  I put the word out to several friends that we've not seen in a very long time and about half showed up.  It was a little disappointing as we didn't even hear anything from the ones that weren't here, not even a congrats-on-20-years text.  Perhaps they weren't ready to socialize yet, but who knows?  Ever forward.

I bought cheesy t-shirts for the occasion, and also bought a digital picture frame that has a battery.  I went through a lot of old pictures we have in the basement and scanned in almost a hundred for a slide show of us through the years.  All pictures were at least ten years old and some 23 or more years.  It almost coincided with our full transition to digital, so only a couple of the 'newer' pics were already on the computer.  I think all found it to be interesting, and it was good to get those pictures in digital format.  It does take more time than you'd think to scan pictures, but it was also fun and interesting because even I hadn't seen those pictures in a very long time.

I also learned of Starlink, a series of satellites that fly single file across the night sky with the goal of bringing broadband internet to every corner of the world.  Currently there are at least 1,625 of these satellites orbiting the earth and, from what I've read, SpaceX wants as many as 30,000 of them up there.  I must say, it was interesting to watch.  I did try to get a picture of it, but none came out.  I'll be more prepared next time.

While it was strange at first to have multiple people over, we soon fell back into old habits and just enjoyed the company.  It's hard to believe how long it's been since we did anything like this.  I'm grateful for all our friends that shared in our special occasion and look forward to doing this again this year.  I'm also on vacation this week so my wife and I plan on finding a time to go out to eat to celebrate between ourselves.

Despite all this, the back is pretty much the same.  The prednisone taper helped a bit, but not much.  Tomorrow morning I have my first physical therapy appointment, then the next morning I'll see my doctor.  I fully expect a referral to the neurosurgeon and an MRI to happen in my near future.  Hopefully just a shot in the spine will do it and I won't need surgery.  As bad as it is now, I know I've had it worse in the past.   It just takes so damn long to work through the steps before getting much needed relief.

6 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Congratulations on two decades of togetherness! Pleased you are managing/managed some celebrations.

I popped in to see an old friend yesterday as it was her birthday and she said exactly what you have about people she thought were friends not replying to invitations or sending cards etc. She had received only 2 cards and 2 more she knew were in transit, plus mine.

One would think that in the last year people might have reflected a bit on the importance of networks ad keeping up with people, but it appears not.

Enjoy your week off, and hope the PT can help your back.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW, it was a nice time and very much needed.

Of the four parties that did not respond initially, one texted apologies today, one emailed apologies today, and still no word from the others - but that's okay. Friends may come and go in this life, but I just don't have as many good ones as I used to.

PT went well, thanks, basically just got a few pointers on what to do. Mainly bending backwards, essentially, and lots of it. I was going to run some errands today but my few trips out this morning showed me I was in a rather bad mood when dealing with people so I stayed home and napped. Might be Plant Day for me tomorrow, though.

Nic said...

Congratulations on your 20th! It will be our 30th later this year, not sure if we're having any sort of party...we had a lovely big one for our 25th when we first moved down here but not sure how many folk would come again.....

The Starlink satellites are great to see, I wasn't sure what they were the first time I saw them ...thought it was high flying military formation or something! On the minus side I know a lot of astronomers claim they leave a lot of streaks across their photos and ultimately make it harder to see the night sky.....

Happy anniversary (again).

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Nic. I'm thankful she still puts up with me. It's rarely been easy, but we've survived everything so far.

I've heard astronomers aren't thrilled with Starlink, but it certainly is a sight to see. I still have to find that app my friend was talking about to track it.

My MRI is scheduled for a couple weeks from now. Seems I can get a shot without seeing the neurosurgeon, which is good for a quicker timeline.

delcatto said...

Congratulations! Twenty years and an great way to celebrate with the fire pit.

Hopefully your back will be sorted and good luck with it.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Delcatto. Yes, we wouldn't have done an indoor gathering just yet. And the night turned out to be perfect for a fire, the first one this year in shorts and flip flops!

The back will get sorted eventually, thanks, it always does. And thanks for listening to my complaints, I've certainly had my share of medical woes to post about in the last 12 years.